the Rift

[OPEN] Debauched canary, pious wolf

Konstantin Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
A chilly remark dragged my thoughts unceremoniously back to earth.

You have no horn.

I turned my head abruptly to face the infant unicorn, blinking away the fleeting impression of Katyusha that forced its way into my waking mind. That wasn’t right; I’d left her – them, I reminded myself – behind. But they would survive. They were young.

History repeats itself.

“Of course I don’t,” I replied, mystification writ large upon my features. Why should I? I had no use for such cumbersome accoutrements as wings and horns and jewelry and things that obstruct the simple comfort of naked flesh against flesh. I had shouldered the burden of a crown once already; I did not fancy the thought of carrying one with me, waking or asleep, for the rest of my days.

I turned to address the blue filly properly, amiable despite her accusing words, a question already half-formed upon my lips, when movement flashed along the edge of my eye. I had been charged thus once before in a place far from here, and I remembered well the aggressive curve of his brow and the purposeful weight of his strides. Steeling myself, I backed readily away from the filly, because of course one must be permitted to protect one’s future. Why someone should feel so threatened by a horse such as myself, all slender lines and angles and defenseless in all but the most primal of ways, probably confused me more than Lothíriel’s muted scorn.

Before I had a chance to ask, my aggressor spoke, and in an instant I felt wrongness beneath my hooves.

---

I stifled a yelp as her head came down across mine. Disoriented as I was by the meteoric flash behind me, the pungent odor of burning weeds and the crackle of flame that roared in counterpoint to Bashkin's sudden insistent shove, I surrendered, stutter-stepping away as she moved to plant herself between me and...something.

I'd had dreams - dreams of demons and dragons and fantastical beasts beyond even Nature's infinite imaginings - but I had never seen such a creature of sinuous and multifarious radiance. I cast a tentative glance into the surrounding darkness, so much deeper now alongside that dancing flame, and with a little noise in my throat I saw that the stars had all but vanished into the clouds and shadows overhead.

My thoughts leapt first to Sasha, but of course he was not here. Suddenly I felt small and vulnerable. Only Bashkin remained, a dark and half-lit wall of storm gray flesh, planting herself between me and the fiery djinn as though...

What? As though I mattered?

---

Bent now to the will of my memory rather than the Stormborn’s incontrovertible strength, I took several fevered steps sideways as though scalded. “Gospodi!” I hissed under my breath, fixing a wide-eyed look at the suddenly-shriveled grass blackening the space I had occupied scarcely a moment before.

Rude.

“What was that for?” I demanded indignantly, shrugging back a sudden wave of fatigue taking root in my legs.

Messages In This Thread
Debauched canary, pious wolf - by Konstantin - 11-05-2013, 10:42 PM
RE: Debauched canary, pious wolf - by Lothíriel - 11-06-2013, 06:48 AM
RE: Debauched canary, pious wolf - by Deimos - 11-06-2013, 05:08 PM
RE: Debauched canary, pious wolf - by Konstantin - 11-07-2013, 12:06 AM
RE: Debauched canary, pious wolf - by Lothíriel - 11-07-2013, 07:18 AM
RE: Debauched canary, pious wolf - by Deimos - 11-07-2013, 06:16 PM
RE: Debauched canary, pious wolf - by Arah - 11-07-2013, 08:31 PM
RE: Debauched canary, pious wolf - by Arah - 11-27-2013, 04:43 PM
RE: Debauched canary, pious wolf - by Arah - 12-14-2013, 08:20 AM
RE: Debauched canary, pious wolf - by Konstantin - 11-10-2013, 03:08 AM
RE: Debauched canary, pious wolf - by Deimos - 11-17-2013, 07:30 PM