the Rift

[PRIVATE] All the stars are bleeding [Gabriel]

Konstantin Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
The stars were shining brightly overhead, a shower of diamonds strewn haphazardly across the purple velvet of the night sky; I could not see them. Slick with sweat in spite of the bitter chill, each movement scorching my muscles afresh, I staggered half-delirious across the steppe. I was angry and didn’t understand why. I had to get away – I didn’t understand that either.

The earth unfolded before me like cubist’s nightmare: pitching wildly in every direction and smeared at the edges. The ground beneath my hooves seemed eager to slither away and cast me into the abyss. I wanted to turn out the contents of my stomach onto the virgin snow, but of course I could not.

I hurt.

It wasn’t a good hurt. I could not revel in my suffering as I had done before dear Althea, my bruised and bloodied flesh a resounding triumph. This pain grew inside me like a hungering cold, poisoning my mind and thickening my blood to the very knife edge of unconsciousness. I could not escape into my memories; I could only drag myself onward.

Exhaustion seemed almost a breathing thing, setting its claws deeper in my spine with every ragged gasp, every labored step I took. It felt like I’d run for days, and yet I knew I had managed perhaps twenty paces beyond the basin’s border on my own power. I gritted my teeth.

Even now, I did not fear death. Beneath the roiling agony and the panic and the vertigo and the world-swallowing fatigue, the basest part of me knew that I might die tonight. It knew, accepted, and felt nothing. What it – and therefore I – could not accept was dying here, abandoned on a flat frozen slab far too reminiscent of ‘home’.

I didn’t want to face the darkness alone.

My strength gave out; I toppled forward with my next step, legs suddenly a disobedient tangle as I half-caught myself on a knee before landing heavily on my side. The frozen ground against my cheek seemed to quench the fires raging in my brain. I chanced a glimpse skyward and immediately regretted it.

All the stars were bleeding.

@[Gabriel]

Messages In This Thread
All the stars are bleeding [Gabriel] - by Konstantin - 11-14-2013, 04:29 AM
RE: All the stars are bleeding [Gabriel] - by Gabriel - 11-14-2013, 10:47 PM
RE: All the stars are bleeding [Gabriel] - by Konstantin - 11-16-2013, 11:29 PM
RE: All the stars are bleeding [Gabriel] - by Gabriel - 11-19-2013, 03:05 PM