the Rift

[OPEN] Mirror, Mirror, On the Wall, Who is the Least Welcome of All?

Torleik the Bloodskald Posts: 354
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 11 HP: 66.5 | Buff: SWIFT
Irelyn :: Plain Griffin :: Molten Dagger RedGod
Torleik
A lone man loved by none:

How long can he live?

Torleik heard a strange cry echo around him and tensed. What was that? He had never heard that before. Muscles and focus tightening, he looked around quickly now, suspiciously. They were not alone, and he refused to be taken by surprise - especially with how vulnerable Irelyn was, still a babe at this point in her life. "I okay," his griffin reassured, taking any opportunity to use her expanding vocabulary. She was just now getting a tentative grasp on identity words such as I, you, me, they, and so Torleik welcomed her practice.

"For now," Torleik grunted, stiffening as he glimpsed a wash of white coming his way. Who was this? As they came closer, he found it was an equine and - foolishly, in hindsight - he relaxed some. For his actions, he was met with a demanding inquiry and then he noticed the dragon. Luckily, his previous encounter with Ophelia's bonded, Tinek, had shown him that not all things that flew were horrible, and his acquisition of Irelyn was further proof of that.

This dragon, however, tried to set his evolving and progressive views back a few steps by dive-bombing him and baring its teeth. Instinctively, the dual-horned demon jerked himself backwards, watching in horror as his little owl griffin, his little Irelyn suddenly launched herself from her nest on his back. She flapped valiantly in the air for a few seconds, her neck reaching out towards the offending dragon, intending to bite it if she could - but her beak snapped shut on empty air and then she tumbled to the ground.

A panicky, dreadful sort of fear overtook him and Torleik utterly ignored the stallion, the dragon, everything else. Swiftly moving between himself and his fallen companion, he leaned down and began to inspect her - invasively, in her opinion. "I okay," she grunted in his head, but he was not so sure. That fall had hurt, he'd felt it through their bond.

"You can't fly yet - what were you thinking?!" Torleik demanded.

"No," Irelyn said sullenly, directing her attention towards the dragon.

He was touched by her attempt to protect him and put the dragon in its place, but concerned at this new facet of Irelyn's behavior. She couldn't just go leaping from his back every time there was a minor threat. She could get eaten, burnt, clawed, killed. "Irelyn..." Torleik started, but stopped when his gaze was met with defiantly stubborn owlish eyes. He felt that she knew anything he was about to say, but that she'd leap out and try to bite that dragon again if the opportunity presented itself. With a sigh, he leaned down further and let her climb back onto him by his mane, only satisfied when she was firmly settled back in her nest.

Now, he turned his attention to this white stallion and his...dragon. "I am taking a walk for my companion's sake," he growled slowly and deliberately. "Do you often allow yours to threaten others unbidden?" Torleik's demand was tight and angry. A mare he'd had the displeasure of dealing with before came upon them, then, and he half expected her to shriek at him once more and demand that he leave posthaste.

To his surprise, Kahlua merely tossed rather bitchy words his way - minus any threats or ultimatums to get out. He considered her questions and tried to understand. What was their intense dislike for him? He had done nothing to these equines. In fact, when he'd met Kahlua, he'd been trying to save one of her kind from drowning! "I haven't the slightest inkling what I've done to offend you both, but I tire of this pathetic little game," Torleik grunted. "I am a free male, able to walk where I wish, look as I wish, and teach my bonded, as I wish. I have no quarrel with either of you; you with the dragon I have never seen before, and you, mare - I do not know why you hate me, even though our first meeting found me attempting to save one of yours from a lungful of ocean."

If this was going to turn into a scuffle, Torleik wished somewhere to protect Irelyn. Casting his eyes about, he could find no suitable land, and quietly despaired that his little one might come to harm. Retreat was a far better option, he thought. He could repair wounded pride much easier than a wounded companion.

@[Lace]
@[Kahlua]

[[OOC Tagging just 'cause it's been a while, just in case. No need to tag after me, just making sure y'all know I LIVE lol]]

Credits: Image by Eagle
[Image: 531c0b471919e]

No man is an island.
Pixel by: Tamme :D

Please tag me in all posts! Thank you!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mirror, Mirror, On the Wall, Who is the Least Welcome of All? - by Torleik - 12-05-2013, 03:07 PM