the Rift

[OPEN] Mirror, Mirror, On the Wall, Who is the Least Welcome of All?

Kaj The Aurelight Posts: 381
Hidden Falls Conscript atk: 4.0 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2hh :: 8 Years 9 Months HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Arabella :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya Brit

With the sharp look given, and the dismissal of Kaj's background, the golden brute pinned his ears so viciously towards Lace it could have been taken as a threat where it a more physical action. Heart steeled itself as the arrogant bastard continued on, smarmy voice like needles pricking into his skin. Why should he feel guilty, when this man clearly did not? Emotions were cast aside into a box in his mind and latched firmly, only permitting the anger to permeate through his entire being. Kaj remained, jaw clenched, a barrier between the two, a wall within a wall. Silent. For now. Teeth ground and wings lifted higher in subconscious challenge, but not a single rumble touched his throat for a verbal reply. Kahlua's sobbing and Evangeline's lurking were bypassed as Lace looked at him, and Kaj took a challenging, infuriated step forward towards the cobwebbed cur. Lightning flashed in clear blue eyes. A growl built in his throat, ears missing in his hair against his crown, stance strong and ready for an attack he should not be anticipating, but which instinct and upbringing prepared him for.

"Do not speak to me like I am a dog, traitor. I do not trust this man, you are a fool to think I do. Would I be standing where I am now with my title if I did not fight for the best for the Edge? If I stood in defense of a foal being beaten, one not of the Edge, would you condemn me in the same way, call me too trusting, even if that child was a demon?" The lion is awake, and claws unsheathe, and there is something dangerous and raw in his posture. Inside of him there was a beast, usually slumbering, and rarely ever seen. Kaj feared it would awaken today, feared the repercussions, because if this came to blows Kaj would lose all logic he normally held in spars and tournaments. It would be to the death, or at least to his own, if Lace triumphed. "Do not speak to me of the good of the Edge. I have spoken to Aaron when he was in a fit of arrogance, you really think he is fit to inform me, when he had wanted to run to the Foothills to pettily tell them of their mistakes, merely because they were foalhood friends? Directly after they invaded us? And you speak of our DragonHeart? The one who stands for equality? You spit at her by doing this, you fool." It is spat like poison, disgust in his tone, but he is at least reserved. Controlled. Always. Controlled. Always.

Soldier.

Kaj's eyes went blank. Memories swarmed him. A time when he had been nameless, faceless, merely another vessel to bleed and be slaughtered for the whims of careless mages. Nothing if not replaceable. Soldier.

Kaj slammed his wings up so fast the air shifted harshly around him, and he gave a short lunge away from Lace, because he knew if he didn't get away from him that Lace's blood would soon touch the ground and would start a battle he did not want to see. The beast shifted and growled, wishing to awaken. Like thunder his voice boomed, murder in his eyes. "DO NOT CALL ME SOLDIER YOU UNFIT CUR!" He was so angry he was trembling, and only the presence and words of Evangeline interrupting, of Torleik speaking to him and the group, dwindled it to controllable levels. At least they were a distraction from the inevitable blows he would have initiated had he and Lace been alone, and it frightened him to feel such hatred and disrespect for someone he was supposed to trust with no qualms or fears. He stepped back further, and it might seem he was even retreating, but it was for the benefit of all those around. Kaj had succumbed to the beast inside only twice, and he shuddered to think of it being unleashed where so many could be harmed. He stepped towards Lace again only when his muscles stopped twitching and spasming, desiring an outlet, a target. His hiss was low and cast only for Lace's ears when he spoke, but his emotions would not be dealt with now, despite his sorrow over the fact that he had been driven to such intense, negative emotions towards a herd brother.

"I am not your soldier, I will never kneel for anyone but the black Lady, and I will never be yours to command. Let it be known that I am no mere soldier, I have name and face, I have vengeance and love, I AM NOT A MACHINE AMONG RANKS!" He wished for privacy, so that Torleik would not have to witness this shameful and disgusting interaction, regardless of whether or not he could hear it, but his anger would not be stifled so quickly. He angled his voice, but the rage in the last portion of his rebuttal was strength, not decibel induced, and hopefully would not be heard by the others.

"Let that be a sign that I am by no means gentle, Lace," he hissed, and with a fleeting look towards Kahlua he turned towards Torleik. "I leave you in the capable hands of the ladies of our mists, sir Torleik. May the path guide you to better fields than ours." Cutting his gaze harshly back to Lace and Fajira, he uttered only one other phrase. "I will resume my duties along the borders. I will have no more to do with business that apparently does not suit a soldier, regardless of rank." He spat the words and in a powerful thrust of his wings he rose straight from the ground in an impressive display of power, hooves clattering decisively on the top of the wall and launching into the sky. None of his supposed brethren on the ground could follow him, flightless as they were, and the beast needed to be calmed. He needed a place to explode, a task to do, and he knew it would result in him losing a lot of blood and bruising most of his body to calm the demon inside.

The Edge was in disarray, and their Queen seemed uncaring, too absent to even notice.

KAJ
Everybody with your fists raised high-
Let me hear your battle cry

image credits
table by whit

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mirror, Mirror, On the Wall, Who is the Least Welcome of All? - by Kaj - 12-30-2013, 06:50 AM