the Rift

[OPEN] I'm not the child you once knew

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
AFRICA
Diviner for Dragon's Throat

Her eyes, pale and tender, watched the girl closely, silently; reading easily the respect so displayed across her gold-laced features. As a show of mutuality she dipped her face- a solemn greeting that lacked the warmth of their previous intimacies. Without valid reason or understanding for the sudden, deceptive nature of Aurelia’s departure from the herd; from the family and Africa’s promised care, it was difficult for the dappled mare to show that depth and tenderness like always she had before. The delicate thatch of mottled feather work by her side bristled; she was discomforted by the awkwardness of the situation- this chance meeting that had reunited the alienated sisterhood.
Instead of filling the prickly silence with worthless words, she stood simply before the girl and allowed her eyes to rove athwart her body; to witness the marvel of maturity which seemed to have grown her in all respects. A blemish did strike her as remarkable though, and she paused to consider it a little more closely. Aurelia was sporting now a scar which caused the guarded mare great worry- a wound which seemed old, healed; but one which may not have existed should the stubborn child have heeded the warnings given. For now she did not act on that concern, the expression stretched through her face remained mild and stoic.

The first words which spilled from the gold-bleached girl’s lips came with little surprise- Africa’s brow lifted a little, but that was more anticipation for the true explanation; the real revelation which would hopefully follow. Her stiffened grey lips remained tightly together, her dimpled chin quivering as the tongue within her jaws curled through pooling saliva. Her attention was entirely focused on Aurelia though.
As the younger began again, teeth bit heavily the hurt scoff which her lungs thought best to purge. Without sound or signal, the dappled mare drank the justification dutifully- she could not deny that the girl’s words sank through her heart like a serrated knife; could not avoid the crash of emotion as her pulse began to rise. Silas who still watched from his place upon her back began to growl, low and deep- a sound of apprehension and disapproval for that which had upset his beloved. Although the young Pegasus before them would not understand his gesture- could not, Africa swung her head backwards in an agitated fashion, ears falling in the same direction to prove her disapproval despite his best intention. The little Zephyr lost balance then, and fluttered gruffly into the lofty overhead branch of a tree.

When Aurelia’s wing lifted, Africa glanced down at the scar openly, studying the shining pink blemish meticulously. It was true that she had been so engrossed in the Earth God’s harmony that she had paid the filly little attention- such was the beauty of the deity's show. Now though, there was no distraction to leach the concentration of the Oracle as she met finally the white-eyed gaze of the other.
She once had found her wings to be the ultimate prize of another, Africa had been saved by her desert kin- her gratitude and loyalty as a result of their care was to this day unwavering. As Aurelia sighed softly, the dappled mare did also and cast a vaguely sweeping gaze into the heavens above. She did truly care for the younger, wanted the best for her; but what benefit was any of it now that she had removed herself from security.

“I’m sorry too…” She breathed, the air rushing and burning through the stretched funnel of her throat as she sucked another after. All of the words offered did little to comfort, reassure or even clarify why Aurelia had really left her home. Africa tried in earnest to not take it personally; to not shoulder the weight of the loss of a family member exclusively.
Although the glaze which had settled in the matured girl’s eyes seemed innocent enough, her actions were quite contradictory- innocence was purity; and just like Africa’s had been robbed, Aurelia was now just as unclean. Africa could hold it with her own, only briefly.
“I’m not sure why you left, why you felt unsafe. Your reasoning is unclear to me, sorry.” She smiled gently, trying her best to offer what reassurance she could- it was in her nature to help, not hinder. “I hope that the Foothills will hold you safer than you would have been by my side.” her intention wasn’t bitter; although she hurt deeply, rejection pinching the nerves below the slippery cloak across her shoulders, Africa would not allow the girl to feel as though this effort to reconnect was in vain.

“You are always welcome to visit me, dear.” She said simply and the smile that hedged the truth of the matter came a little easier. Closing her eyes, she leaned forward towards Aurelia and rough whiskered lips fondled the sprouted feathers by the flat slant of her shoulder.

(For @[Aurelia])

Messages In This Thread
I'm not the child you once knew - by Aurelia - 12-02-2013, 03:12 AM
RE: I'm not the child you once knew - by Africa - 12-02-2013, 05:31 PM
RE: I'm not the child you once knew - by Aurelia - 12-02-2013, 08:19 PM
RE: I'm not the child you once knew - by Africa - 12-02-2013, 09:45 PM
RE: I'm not the child you once knew - by Africa - 12-03-2013, 12:58 AM
RE: I'm not the child you once knew - by Aurelia - 12-08-2013, 09:12 PM
RE: I'm not the child you once knew - by Africa - 12-12-2013, 11:15 PM