the Rift

in those silent shades of gray
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo

It's not easy, being lost in life. His heart pulsed dully, but the blood was like ash in his veins—lifeless. When he'd fallen from his throne, he'd fallen further than just to his knees, so deep into the darkness he couldn't tell which way the stars were anymore. Mauja was a creature of ambition, of dreams and schemes, of purpose: yet there he stood by the ocean's edge, with nowhere to go, no plan, nothing but himself and his owl. His heartbeat was the throb of a wound, not of something grand and victorious. Somewhere along the way he had laid down his arms, and given in against himself. And now, only the hollowness of his self-wrought defeat remained, honesty preventing him from fighting his way back into his old life, retaking his old goals and claiming the world as his. Did he even want to rule the world?

But he was a soldier, a wolf; restless, with an itching mind and itching feet. Could he live a peaceful, quiet life in some backwater corner of the world? Grow old and die not because someone pierced his heart, but because his heart gave out?

Even in his listlessness, such a future struck no chord.

Shuffling steps caught his attention, one ear flicking back before the rest of his head followed around. A thick-set horse was descending the silvery pale dunes, awkwardly working its way across the treacherous terrain. Mauja watched her with a subdued sense of curiosity, wondering if he looked as bumbling whenever he traversed the sands. She didn't seem quite at ease, but determined anyway, coming his way. It wasn't that surprising. Take cover with a white horse, then ditch them when the wolves came; or just come over out of curiosity. He watched her in silence, the only sounds the whispering of the ocean, and the dull thuds of her steps. Her hips gleamed like he did, but the rest of her was matted, muted, washed-out brown lined with a faint silver sheen whenever the moon struck the hairs right. She was heavier than most he'd met in a while, and his gaze dropped to her feet. Surely it'd be a pain to get all the sand out of her feathers.

It surprised him, vaguely, that he was still present enough to contemplate such useless facts. Maybe he wasn't all dead beneath the thick, woolly layer separating his mind from the rest of himself and the world. It brought a small, humorless smile to his face, a twist of black lips towards one side—a fleeting expression quickly washed away by the constant tides.

She came closer and closer, and now he could see the deadly curve of the bony weapon growing out of her skull. The moonlight edged it coldly, all along its sinister bend; he nearly shivered. Was it sharp, along the edges? Or was it only the tip? He didn't want to imagine it laying cold against his throat, to feel his pulse ricochet against its smooth surface—he'd be too mortal in such a moment. We are deadly by virtue of our birth. Deadly, but no better. Finally the red-gray mare stopped, looking at him with a face he surely was hallucinating. Her eyes seemed too open, too curious, her smile almost dreamy, as if she was gazing upon something.. something amazing, and not just a broken old stallion. "Who are you? she asked, and Yes, who am I? he wondered, too.

But more, he wondered who this white-faced woman saw standing there in his stead.

"Mauja," he said; his name was but a name, a legend and a rumor and a reputation attached to it. But his name was not he. Or, rather.. it need not be he. Or he could say something else. Like.. Dreven. But he didn't. "I am.. nothing in particular." His voice turned low, a murmur ending in a sigh as his blue eyes turned away again, back to sea. Once I was something; by the definition of my rank and my purpose? Have I grown so hollow since, that I am nothing, merely because I dream of nothing? His white tail flicked against his hocks, just another sound in the backdrop of the night. "And you?"

angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Messages In This Thread
in those silent shades of gray - by Mauja - 12-14-2013, 04:46 AM
RE: in those silent shades of gray - by Maeve - 12-18-2013, 04:16 PM
RE: in those silent shades of gray - by Mauja - 12-19-2013, 12:02 PM
RE: in those silent shades of gray - by Beowulf - 12-28-2013, 08:46 PM
RE: in those silent shades of gray - by Mauja - 01-11-2014, 04:46 AM