the Rift

In the Dead of Night

Apollo the Merciful Posts: 251
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: 11 HP: 63.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Zola :: Black Cat :: None Sparrow

For One More Day, I'm Not Afraid to Fall

A familiar voice came to him like the sweet embrace of a loved one, causing him to snap out of his depressed reverie. Apollo's head shot upwards, honey-brown orbs searching the dark confines of the cave, but there was no mistaking the sight of the mighty Pegasus who approached. Midas. Oh, thank the Gods... Immediately Apollo outstretched his muzzle towards his blood-brother and long-term ally, nostrils flaring as he attempted to drown himself in the Sultan's familiar, comforting scent. Midas was here, and he would make everything better... Or so the Chief hoped. Their touch sent warmth and reassurance filtering through Apollo's bosom, causing his panic and fear to lessen, albeit slightly.

"Midas," the Sultan's name was breathed out on a long exhale, as if on a prayer, "Thank the Gods you're alright. I was so scared, so worried... So few have followed me here." The painted stallion swallowed thickly, troubled orbs once more flicking back towards the entrance of the cave and the way that he had come. "Did... Did you send Fina?" A dumb question, for who else would have? "Thank you. I've heard rumors, of these 'undead' walking among the earth, but... I didn't want to believe it." His nightmares had come true, and it was a hard fact for Apollo to accept.

"Is... Is your herd alright?" They had never finished making a pact, Apollo knew, but Midas was his friend, his brother, and by association, Apollo fretted for the Sultan's herd, as well. "Did they come?" So many questions he wanted to ask, but Apollo knew that they didn't have time to cover everything. When Midas spotted and inquired about Eytan, and thus Ktulu's whereabouts, Apollo's gaze shifted away with guilt, settling sullenly upon the earth at their hooves.

"I h-haven't seen her," he whispered shamefully with a tinge of fear, "Eytan found me as I was rallying those of my herd I could find, but of Ktulu, I have... I have no idea. She's strong though, yeah? I'm... I'm sure she's fine." Apollo's words, however, sounded more like he was attempting to convince himself than convince Midas.

God, Apollo, get ahold of yourself. You're acting like a fool!

Sucking in a long, deep breath, the Merciful allowed his eyes to fall closed as he tried to rein in his terror. This was a terrifying situation, but panicking would do nothing to help. He needed to get control of himself and his emotions, to think like a leader would... Like Midas was. Clearly and rationally. Apollo's eyes snapped open and those words were forgotten, however, as he heard a sudden commotion come from behind them, towards the opening of the cave, and Apollo whirled to face whatever had just, quite literally, stumbled into their sanctuary. Newly uprooted fear stole away any form of recognition, and the stallion tucked his head, horn pointed towards the threat... But a sickeningly familiar, desperate cry of his name snapped him out of it.

'A-Apollo!' Lakota. It was Lakota. The overo opened his mouth to speak, to ask her if she was alright, to see what had thrown such a terrified, heart-wrenching expression upon her face... But before he could, Lakota had stumbled towards him and pressed her body against his, seeking comfort and solace. Warm wetness soaked through his fur upon his shoulder, and Apollo realized with growing dread that she was crying. Crying. Lakota was crying. Strong, resiliant, fiery Lakota... Was in tears. Like the sight of the undead, Apollo didn't know how to swallow this new event. Behind her, Locket came, a brother who had served in the Grey as well. They were not as close as Apollo had grown to some of his brothers and sisters, but Locket was still family.

"Kota... Lakota, dear sister, please... Wh-what happened? What's wrong?" But it took no time for her to choke out the one thing, the one name that caused a frozen hand to grasp Apollo's heart. Ktulu. Oh, God.

Near frantically Lakota relayed what had taken place with Locket's help, of the battle that had transpired in his absence, and slowly the missing pieces of the puzzle regarding Ktulu's whereabouts began sliding into place in the stag's mind. Honey-brown eyes flitted to Midas to gauge his reaction, and with gentle affection, Apollo moved to lip gently, lovingly at Lakota's neck. "Shh, Kota," he whispered, swallowing past the lump in his throat to speak, "Shh. Peace, sister, peace..." Normally, Apollo would be seeking such comforts from Lakota, but right she needed a pillar of strength, and he was willing to be that said pillar.

At Apollo's side, a soft, heart-broken grown rumbled from the pit of Eytan's belly. The chocolate grizzly was troubled, there was no doubt, and Apollo finally understood why.

Ever so gently, Apollo turned his head to brush his cheek against Lakota's shoulder, but his eyes sought out Locket. "This... This isn't good, but... If something has the ability to turn our loved ones into these m-monsters, then there is certainly something that can turn them back. Right?" Looking away from the old executioner, Apollo's gaze landed on Midas, but he continued to press himself against Lakota, her trembling body sending tremors through his own. If she needed him, then Apollo would give himself to her in any way that he could.

"Brother... Do you have any idea? What we can do to... To stop this?"

[ooc: I'm just gonna say that posting order is a lie. xD]

For One More Day, We Try to Save it All

I Just Want You To Know Who I Am

Please Tag Apollo in All Posts!

Messages In This Thread
In the Dead of Night - by Apollo - 01-11-2014, 03:36 PM
RE: In the Dead of Night - by Midas - 01-11-2014, 05:28 PM
RE: In the Dead of Night - by Lakota - 01-12-2014, 07:22 AM
RE: In the Dead of Night - by Locket - 01-12-2014, 10:02 AM
RE: In the Dead of Night - by Apollo - 01-12-2014, 10:30 AM
RE: In the Dead of Night - by Arrane - 01-12-2014, 01:36 PM