the Rift

In the Dead of Night

Lakota the Poisoner Posts: 278
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.1hh :: 7 Years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Aodaun :: Polar Bear :: Terrorize Brit

Tucked close against the warm side of her friend, her mind slowed, inhaling his familiar scent like a frightened babe might that of its mothers. She shuddered against him, consumed by the sight of her beloved bleeding and cursing at the demonic child that had attacked her. Soft voice touched her ears, shocked and surprised, and she knew, she knew damn it, that she should be the strong one here. Wasn't she the warrior? The one who was supposed to be his pillar of support? It had always been her, though, and she could hardly manage that right now. Just...just a few more moments, she told herself. Locket is her only help, adding his words to her distressed cries, her attempts at spilling what had transpired. Without him, it was unlikely they would have even understood what she'd been saying. And Locket, dear Locket...if he had not been there to help push her away, would Lakota be back there, consumed by the darkness spreading through their ranks, stuck in half-death with Ktulu? She had so much to thank him for, but it would have to come later, for she was soon distracted.

Apollo listened to the two of them, not that she would know with her face tucked into his shoulder, hiding away from a world she wanted no part in. The poisoner knew the world was cruel, but she had never thought...never dreamed, that it could be this heartless. Her love for Ktulu demanded she not consider her lost, or dead. She was too stubborn to accept something like that. Too devoted. Her sobs dwindled to soft hiccups under Apollo's soft affections, lifting her teary violet gaze to his warm honey, taking strength in the support she found there, quieting. He crooned at her softly, and she leaned her cheek against the junction of his neck and shoulder, staring up at him and nodding submissively, obediently. His cheek brushed her shoulder, and she turned to hide against him, taking deep breaths. She'd had her moment of reprieve, of safety. Now, it was time for her to be strong again. Taking strength in the soft rumble that shook his chest with each word, she inhaled deeply. It was time.

Her lips trailed against his skin in gratitude as she pulled away, her eyes seeking out his. We will talk later, she mentally sent through her gaze, before turning to meet the eyes of those around them. She took a deep breath and her tears were banished to the back of her mind, refusing to be weak any longer. Ktulu and Apollo...they needed her to be strong. She may not feel it, but she had to do it. For them.

"The message has reached all the central herds, from what I know. I'm not sure about the Basin. It is a slow process, a long journey, so the warriors shall come, Ampere. They will be here to fight. But I am not sure if it can be fought...for now, they seem to be unable to enter this cavern...this must be our stronghold." She shook herself, lifting her head high, and took a few steps away from the painted stag she'd sagged against earlier. They must act. If she had to inspire them to do so...well, she must try at least.

"Our Oracles. They will have to find a place to pray. We must receive words from the Gods. Perhaps they will tell us how to fight them. To those who have explored in these caverns, is there any place that holds magic? Any central point of celestial presence?" Her gaze raked across them, ready for an answer, should it be forthcoming. Her brain worked on overdrive, seeking answers.

Then she heard Tharos, and her eyes softened in understanding, knowing well the loss of a loved one, the uncertainty that came with it. "Artemis has not appeared, I do not know if she was with Phaedra and Aodaun when the Foothills evacuated. I will send my companion the message, ask if he will look for her." It was a soft promise, meant for his ears, hoping to comfort him. "For now...we must both be strong. All of us, in fact. We must hold strong and keep faith. The Gods would not willingly abandon us again. They will help us find a way to fix this. Hope is a powerful thing, so keep it in your breast, and fix it there."

Midas spoke then, and sadness filled her features. Had Phaedra relayed her decision to Apollo? Surely he would believe her, right? "I am sorry, Midas. My medic abilities, they have been taken from me with my promotion." Her stomach felt queasy, knowing she would have to address that now...mulberry eyes turned to Apollo, hoping he would not be against Phaedra's decision. She hoped not...she needed him now, more than ever before.

"Phaedra has resigned. She begged me to take her place. I agreed, with the promise that she would remain our head of Intelligence. If there is nobody who wishes to refute her claim, I am now the Chieftess of the Foothills." It rang like a death sentence in her head as she said it, but she continued on, not wanting to hear the doubts in her head contesting her words. "I am not sure if herd-based healing will continue to work, Midas, as we seem to lack the lands that tie the magic to us." Her gaze sought the golden man, now, as she spoke this. Having no words left to reply to, she falls silent, and turns her head hesitantly towards Apollo. Would he approve of having her as his equal? Or did he wish Ktulu were there, instead of her?

Lakota wouldn't lie, she wished that too.

LAKOTA
quote quote quote

image credits
table by whit

Messages In This Thread
In the Dead of Night - by Apollo - 01-11-2014, 03:36 PM
RE: In the Dead of Night - by Midas - 01-11-2014, 05:28 PM
RE: In the Dead of Night - by Lakota - 01-12-2014, 07:22 AM
RE: In the Dead of Night - by Locket - 01-12-2014, 10:02 AM
RE: In the Dead of Night - by Apollo - 01-12-2014, 10:30 AM
RE: In the Dead of Night - by Arrane - 01-12-2014, 01:36 PM
RE: In the Dead of Night - by Midas - 01-12-2014, 05:25 PM