the Rift

last hope

Destrier Posts: 180
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.3hh :: 16 HP: 65.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Suli :: Common Green Dragon :: Fire Breath & Merlin :: Plain Black Dragon :: Frost Breath Dingo
Destrier

Words couldn't describe the heavy sadness that had settled deep within my heart. Many of our herd mates weren't accounted for, including our beloved Weyrleader, Mirage, and countless other faces I had come to love and was sworn to protect; Smoke, Kahlua, Romani, and so many more were nowhere to be found. Even my own children, fiery Luken and brave Laila, were missing, as they had been for nearly a year now. It tore my heart to pieces to imagine what might have befallen them all, and though I'd grown used to casting away my worries and assuring myself that all was well, I knew it was foolish to continue to do so any longer.

Something sinister had come to Helovia, and I must be ready to face the loss that was sure to come with it.

I'd somehow managed to pull myself together when Resplendence had called to those who would hear her, and was quick to suggest the idea of a wagon being crafted in order to bring the nurse's herbal box along the journey. In a world that had sudden turned itself upside-down, it could prove invaluable in our travels. Aaron had crafted it in impressive time, and I had been elected myself to pull it. It was a duty I'd carried out numerous times back in Vallhea, one that I had thoroughly enjoyed back then, except this time I would not have Bran's cheerful banter behind me nor Riven's teasing remarks to everything that came from my boy's mouth.

The bittersweet moment lasted until Suli had finished tying off the hides around my chest and girth appropriately, as tightly as she was able, and then the herd was off, following the fiery bird of legend. Oh, how Bran would have loved to have seen such a thing...

The journey was long and arduous, and despite the herd's efforts to keep at a steady pace for the entirety of it, it seemed we all began to succumb to aches and pains at some point. Where I once kept at a high-kneed trot with my head held high, providing encouragement to any who needed it, I now walked on old aching knees and sore frogs, head held even with my withers. Needless to say, I was beyond thankful for the iron shoes nailed into my front feet, gifted to me nearly a month ago from the grand tree in the thistle meadow. I had often donned the man-made contraptions years ago, and had almost forgotten the comfort they provided over long distances.

Over grand hills, across shallow streams, across the open prairie and down muddy slopes we had gone, each obstacle testing all of our waning strength. It was with practiced skill and careful placement that I pulled the wagon, assuring that the box within it would never come sliding or bouncing out, but even that grew in difficulty with every new hill we faced. My hide was damp and frothed beneath the harness, sweat slicking my neck, flanks and barrel. Never did I stop, however, for I was their Wingleader after all; now more than ever I could not falter, and I would never stop until I crumpled dead in my tracks.

Eventually we had made it to a place I recalled with startling clarity. Here, in the Heart of Helovia, I had fought alongside friends and foes alike against a creature of the netherworld that had threatened to destroy us all. We had ended it in a single night, but this strange, shifting darkness was something else, another story entirely. There were others here already, gone and disappeared through the wide hole hidden in the grasses; how long had it been here, I wondered? It wasn't a question I dwelled on for long, for I need to watch my step as I descended the slippery slope that declined beneath the earth.

My knees screamed at the effort to keep not only myself but the wagon upright as well, hooves begging for purchase but only sliding to and fro as the weight of the wagon and box both pushed my forward. When I had reached the bottom of it and found my feet on stony ground, iron shoes clacking loudly against it, the wagon thumped somewhat harshly against the abrupt change in ground. Terror filled me shortly, but it was Suli's words within my mind that calmed me, assuring me that both wagon and box were well.

At Resplendence's request, I pulled the wagon close to the fiery, warm wall and kept it held still as it was unloaded and set upon the ground. Only after I had pulled the wagon to the side and out of the way did Suli assist in undoing the soaked harness, tossing it into the now empty wagon and allowing my skin to breath. For a moment I simply stood, taking in the untouched air of the cave and replenishing my lungs before my mind turned back to that of the herd. Resplendence was already at work passing out herbs to those that needed them, and the smallest of smiles pulled back at my tired face. She had changed so much since I'd first seen her.

"Is everyone alright?" I questioned once I thought everyone had filtered into the cave, worried eyes sweeping over every soul in hopes that I would see no bleeding gashes nor gasping, exhausted colts.

"Talk."

Credits

You may attack and use magic on Des at any time for any reason.

HP: 66.5

Messages In This Thread
last hope - by Evangeline - 01-12-2014, 05:48 PM
RE: last hope - by Resplendence - 01-12-2014, 06:31 PM
RE: last hope - by Destrier - 01-13-2014, 02:18 PM
RE: last hope - by Ayelet - 01-13-2014, 09:15 PM
RE: last hope - by Quilyan - 01-18-2014, 03:11 AM
RE: last hope - by Kaj - 01-19-2014, 06:00 PM
RE: last hope - by Resplendence - 01-20-2014, 03:58 PM