last hope

Kaj The Aurelight Posts: 381
Hidden Falls Conscript atk: 4.0 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2hh :: 8 Years 9 Months HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Arabella :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya Brit

KAJ
quote quote
Mirage is gone.

He is numb, knowing that. He flies, trying to take his mind off it, but he cannot. His Lady has disappeared into the darkness that eats them all, that spawns insidious creatures of oozing flesh and wicked deeds. She is gone. The one mistress he had sworn fealty to, the one leader he had cherished and willingly followed, would not be returning. It was better than holding minuscule hope that she would return. From the skies he watched the caravan of his brethren, slow moving and burdened by the weight of the wagon Aaron had made. He was proud of Resplendence, for how she was handling the situation, but his heart was cold and shielded, unable to feel as he normally would have. The herd meeting was still fresh in his mind, and he wondered- was it his storm magic, making him feel that way? Magic seemed to influence the emotions of the Helovians here, but where he had come from, it was merely a tool. He had not been prepared for how it would influence him. A part of him was regretful for how he'd acted, towards Lace, but another part of him was not. He would have to talk to the stallion later, tell him how he really felt, try to mend things. Now was not a time for turmoil...especially now that he was promoted to WeyrLeader.

It still made his stomach drop through to his hooves, to think that. Mirage had left with only that trailing behind her, heading for the Shadowlands, and leaving him with a crown he'd never fill upon his head. Kaj could not match her grace, her ability to inspire loyalty, and he felt as if he fell flat in many aspects when it came to comparing his role to hers. WeyrLeader...was he truly deserving of the title, after how he had acted during the herd meeting? He wished to turn back time, speak his words with less passion and pent-up anger. He felt the fool now, for letting his emotions control him, when normally they lay dormant and uncared for. Flying was the only way he could escape from it, level his thoughts and calm his racing heart. He would never fill Mirage's shoes, but he had to try. He couldn't let his family fall like that, not under his rule. It was daunting, but he had to trust that Mirage had promoted him for some reason, even if it was merely spite...

Their departure had been waylaid, in his case, by Vikram. The gentle giant had told him, in hurried tones, that Semira and Kimber had followed Smoke and Zaffre away from Helovia and the plague that was upon them, murmuring something about Smoke having a deathly fear from a previous experience. Moments after Vikram had departed, Zaffre had appeared to perch upon his shoulder and trill at him softly. They had left him, for safety, but Kaj knew Vikram would keep them safe even at the cost of his life. He had been unable to help Destrier in the pulling of the wagon Aaron had created, and instead had resorted to patrolling the skies, carefully watching for any infected that tried to approach his traveling family. In the distance, also airborne, was Quilyan. Was his brother just as unnerved, to see the direction they were headed? Did he, too, remember the splatter of blood upon those cave walls, the screams of Kahlua and Resplendence echoing through the desolate caverns?

Kaj found he did not fear the demon they'd encountered. No, he feared losing his family, any of his flock that tripped and stumbled wearily towards the caves they held such hope in. Would it be worth it?

Kaj circled uneasily above them, a familiar hawk as they one-by-one entered the hole in the ground. Only when the last of them was safely inside did he fold his wings and drop, exhausted and sore form so many long nights of flight, to enter behind them. They were already speaking when he clambered into the hole, ducking his broad shoulders to accommodate the low-hanging ceiling. Resplendence was bold, in comparison, with how she spoke. Tired pride welled in his chest fondly, listening to the worries and woes of his flock. How could he possibly soothe them? Was it even within his power? Would they hear the hollowness of his words, and know he was lying to himself just as much as he lied to them? He ached so fiercely he merely wanted to lay down and sleep, but he could not. Would not, in fact, until he was assured that his family was well and safe.

"We should rest. Minds are not best when stressed and tired. I volunteer for the first watch, are there any who wish to join me?" He glanced around and his eyes fell on the mare, Ayelet, and heard her quiet plea towards Resplendence. "Perhaps you can help our Moon Doctor, we should find out of the Throat or Foothills healers have arrived. In this time of need, it may be best to share experiences with this unknown foe." Next he gazes at Destrier, moving forward to extend a wing to brush his flank, should he be well-received.

"Rest, friend. You have worked hard. When I am rested, be assured I will look for your young ones. We must leave no family behind." Aching shoulders rolled, and he groaned softly before turning to address them all. "For now, leadership changes will have to wait, when it comes to discussion. I know I may not be the best choice in your eyes, but I will do all I can while I hold Mirage's crown. I only ask that you keep faith." He murmured softly, before trailing off into quiet, wondering what he should do. How could he help them? Were the creatures even able to be defeated?

---
Kachie's characters played with permission in order to make her IC decisions known to the Edge!

image credits
table by whit

Messages In This Thread
last hope - by Evangeline - 01-12-2014, 05:48 PM
RE: last hope - by Resplendence - 01-12-2014, 06:31 PM
RE: last hope - by Destrier - 01-13-2014, 02:18 PM
RE: last hope - by Ayelet - 01-13-2014, 09:15 PM
RE: last hope - by Quilyan - 01-18-2014, 03:11 AM
RE: last hope - by Kaj - 01-19-2014, 06:00 PM
RE: last hope - by Resplendence - 01-20-2014, 03:58 PM