the Rift

[OPEN] Do Giraffes Float? [Open]

Ruske Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Ruske</style>
     A coward is incapable of exhibiting love;
         it is the prerogative of the brave.</style>

The World’s Edge quickly proved more hospitable than its name may have suggested. Though it was not my forest, I forgave its flaws. Perhaps the taste of spring in the air persuaded me to better humor than was usual – or perhaps I was merely improved by events of past days, the reunion of my wretched self and a good friend, the discovery of a place where I belonged, the peace of tedium returning to my life. Though rangy yet and a little stiff under my blanket of winter hair, I moved easily through the forest. Only a few days previous, I had discovered a proliferation of small springs bubbling up from the ground, here and there. Discovering more proved an intellectual challenge befitting a younger creature, but I felt a rare surge of satisfaction as I stumbled upon another, wondering all the while what fed them – some network of underground rivers? Or magic, perhaps? I recalled briefly the sight of the great wall, its impressive façade marred by damage, and supposed the inhabitants of the Edge must be skilled magic users beyond healing. Alongside them, I felt shabby – plain.

The sound of a voice not far-off drew my attention from mundane pursuits. I did not clearly recognize the noise, though I was hardly surprised. Of the herd gathered within these trees, I knew only Evangeline that well – a situation that ought to be remedied. Slowly, then, I turned in the direction of the call and moved, hoping I would not find myself an intruder upon arrival. It held the sound of no specific name; I still measured my steps to a leisurely stride, apprehension biting at my thoughts. Had I become so reclusive in my time alone? So timid? I had shouted at kings and peasants alike – but in another life. With a small sigh, I broke through the trees, eyes resting on a pair of familiar figures, now I had them in sight: spotted mares, one winged. My mood softened by degrees; I recognized them both, though only recalled Kahlua by name – my new queen. She and the other mare appeared to be in conversation; stymied by the proximity, curious only slightly about whatever the pegasus shuffled on her back, I paused several strides away, near enough that I might speak normally but far enough to pose no threat.

”Kahlua.” A small nod of the head, respectful enough. I had grown manners, at some time far in the past. They had, like much else, begun to decay over time. Less comfortably, I glanced at the other mare. ”I do not recall your name, but I believe we have met – under less fortunate circumstances.” Simpering, I cocked my head. ”Good to see you about. I hope I am not interrupting?” I could go no farther in asking about the subject of their conversation, though I found myself immensely curious. How irritating, to be at the bottom of the pecking order again… I found myself chafing against my thin veneer of civility, though neither mare had caused me insult. It was merely – I had long been alone, or else a figure of authority. And yet before them I stood powerless and shabby, impressive to none. Defeat was bitter in the back of my mouth, even if it had been sown quite long ago, and my own actions.

image by BlueRidgeKitties @ flickr.com</style>

[ Hope you don't mind me jumping in, too! ]

Messages In This Thread
Do Giraffes Float? [Open] - by Kahlua - 03-29-2014, 06:30 PM
RE: Do Giraffes Float? [Open] - by Alysanne - 03-30-2014, 10:43 PM
RE: Do Giraffes Float? [Open] - by Ruske - 03-30-2014, 11:17 PM
RE: Do Giraffes Float? [Open] - by Aurelia - 03-31-2014, 12:14 AM
RE: Do Giraffes Float? [Open] - by Kahlua - 04-05-2014, 10:06 PM
RE: Do Giraffes Float? [Open] - by Alysanne - 04-06-2014, 09:33 PM
RE: Do Giraffes Float? [Open] - by Ruske - 04-07-2014, 12:26 AM
RE: Do Giraffes Float? [Open] - by Aurelia - 04-07-2014, 07:34 PM
RE: Do Giraffes Float? [Open] - by Kahlua - 04-23-2014, 03:50 PM