the Rift

[OPEN] Do Giraffes Float? [Open]

Ruske Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
 Ruske</style>
     A coward is incapable of exhibiting love;
         it is the prerogative of the brave.</style>

My first impressions proved surprisingly correct as the two mares I initially chanced upon greeted me warmly. Alysanne; I nodded to the pegasus, only a little bemused by the her vigor. With whatever she shared with Kahlua stowed between her wings once more, I surmised my curiosity best left forgotten until a later date. Unfortunate. ”No need to apologize,” I murmured, the words nearly under my breath – embarrassed, perhaps? Overwhelmed, more accurately. Some vigor had returned to my stride, but I hardly possessed the alacrity of a younger beast. ”I am glad to have your name at last, however. I owe you all a debt of gratitude I hope to one day repay.” Though perhaps I could not do so with quite the joy both Alysanne and Kahlua radiated.

Though I found myself content with the company of only the two mares, another joined our group shortly: female, pegasus. She wore a serpent like a crown. Interest piqued, I turned to watch more formally as she greeted the others. Aurelia. She seemed quite taken with Alysanne; I merely nodded to answer her greeting, supposing I was likely not quite to her taste (and all very well… the mind wanders where the body ought not). ”A pleasure to meet you as well, Aurelia.” I wondered if I would ever untangle these names when the time came again. ”My name is Ruske; I am only recently a nurse for the herd.” At least my reputation did not proceed me beyond those who had witnessed my initial state. One of my ears twitched nervously. I disliked the thought of being he, the sickly one. I ought to find some other way of standing out.

Kahlua interrupted my thoughts with a question – surprising, given the motley group here assorted. ”What do you think of the walls?” I turned to peer at the ruined structure as she did. In truth, I had studied them little since my arrival. They recalled old ambitions perhaps too keenly, but more to the point, I disliked the sensation of walking in such a shadow, like the corroded skeleton of something massive – violent. They drew from me no sensation of joy, I could be sure. But did she wish to hear such an opinion? I stood silent as Alysanne spoke first, no doubt more qualified to voice an opinion than I.

”I think we’ve all had enough of walls” – and what about caves? I sensed a history unspoken, but rather than ask, decided to refrain from abusing the current topic. Perhaps, in later travels, I might inquire elsewhere… Caves. Had they been living underground? Then how had they eaten? Frowning, I studied the wall again, my thoughts in turmoil. But I found Alysanne’s opinion lacking – political, truly, but of little substance. Ever a man unable to control his tongue, I cleared my throat with a rumble. ”I cannot say I understand the history behind yours, or the use, but they seem an odd feature for a land dedicated to peace. One feels a certain dissonance in their presence and yours, Kahlua.” I fell silent a moment, ruminating. The next words burst forth of necessity, painful and almost hungry. ”Surely there is a better use for the master who crafted them?” Alysanne’s words implied the individual in question was Kahlua herself – or was it merely an aspect of royal attribution? I could not be sure, and so left my words vague. Thus falling silent, I studied the queen for a reaction – and the others as well. Warm though they seemed, I anticipated their response with some anxiety – I had known a few to be kind until provoked, and did not wish to wear out my welcome. Though perhaps it was better to know the nature of my companions outright, after all.

image by BlueRidgeKitties @ flickr.com</style>

Messages In This Thread
Do Giraffes Float? [Open] - by Kahlua - 03-29-2014, 06:30 PM
RE: Do Giraffes Float? [Open] - by Alysanne - 03-30-2014, 10:43 PM
RE: Do Giraffes Float? [Open] - by Ruske - 03-30-2014, 11:17 PM
RE: Do Giraffes Float? [Open] - by Aurelia - 03-31-2014, 12:14 AM
RE: Do Giraffes Float? [Open] - by Kahlua - 04-05-2014, 10:06 PM
RE: Do Giraffes Float? [Open] - by Alysanne - 04-06-2014, 09:33 PM
RE: Do Giraffes Float? [Open] - by Ruske - 04-07-2014, 12:26 AM
RE: Do Giraffes Float? [Open] - by Aurelia - 04-07-2014, 07:34 PM
RE: Do Giraffes Float? [Open] - by Kahlua - 04-23-2014, 03:50 PM
RE: Do Giraffes Float? [Open] - by Alysanne - 05-07-2014, 07:06 PM