[PRIVATE] History

Ruske Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
 Ruske</style>
     A coward is incapable of exhibiting love;
         it is the prerogative of the brave.</style>

I had misspoken.

I knew it – knew, and yet continued speaking anyway, as if I could prompt her to forget the insult, as if the insult had never occurred. But Evangeline wilted before my eyes. She was not invincible, of course. She was only a mare – one often hurt, one who had trusted me

Perhaps that had been a mistake. I realized it as I broke away, feigning nonchalance, hoping perhaps for such apathy in return. If she thought me a safe creature it must only be due to my care, in the past, where she was concerned. Now… did she no longer deserve care, on my part? No – not the point, not at all. “I did not…” But my intention hardly mattered – I had spoken unkindly. Frustrated, I let my ears tilt back, small voice to the broil of irritation beating at my ribs. I had meant to assuage guilt, rather than cause more!

But she misunderstood, and I found myself watching her go as, gradually, the light faded from her brilliant eyes. I had not wanted that -- lifted my head to watch her go, surprised by the vehemence of her retort, surprised perhaps by the iron in her will. Did I expect her to stand idly by when her anger was provoked? No – no. I would never have cared for her, were she so easily cowed.

But I did care…

I fixated so intently on the shape her retreating form I forgot Tallis, his presence in my mind always more friend than threat. “Evangeline…!” Some note of irritation rang sharply in my voice, and something else – I had no name for it then, the odd clenching of an old heart. Then the dragon’s shadow fell over me, smoke and orange. I caught sight of him for a moment, attentive to the brilliance of his scales. But the smoke… He opened his jaws a moment later and gave an answer in flame, a long rippling torrent of red and gold – familiar. Phoenix help me, terribly familiar… With a cry, I leapt back, tail wringing, ears pinned. The acrid smell burned at my damaged lungs and coughing, I trailed backward, alarmed and thoroughly turned away -- no doubt now, at all.

Evangeline! Her name left me again, a shuddering shout, moved in part by fear and in part by rage. “I did not…” But she was gone, as thoroughly as ever anyone had left me, before. I found I did not care, particularly much, if the fire should spread and swallow me, myself and the Edge… I danced away, heat licking at my hide, and snorted. Was everything I grew accustomed to destined to leave me, success shattered by my own hooves?

I gave a last look to the flames, eyes rolling, and turned. It was not safe here, perhaps not anywhere. I had managed to crawl back from the brink of death for what? To run, perhaps.

So I ran.

image by BlueRidgeKitties @ flickr.com</style>

Messages In This Thread
History - by Ruske - 03-29-2014, 06:52 PM
RE: History - by Evangeline - 04-01-2014, 09:54 PM
RE: History - by Ruske - 04-03-2014, 11:01 PM
RE: History - by Evangeline - 04-03-2014, 11:36 PM
RE: History - by Ruske - 04-04-2014, 11:34 PM
RE: History - by Evangeline - 04-07-2014, 06:34 PM
RE: History - by Ruske - 04-10-2014, 01:13 AM
RE: History - by Evangeline - 04-15-2014, 08:43 PM
RE: History - by Ruske - 04-25-2014, 06:02 PM