the Rift

No More Stories To Tell

Rohesia Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

ROHESIA

Thump, thump, thump.

Rohesia’s hooves pounded into the trodden earth as she sprinted further and further into the seemingly endless wood. Ghostly trees seemed to twist, turn, and reach their scratching limbs towards her as she ran through the growing fog. Her heart began pounding quickly, following the beat of her hooves.

Thump, thump, thump.

A wall of fallen trees with hundreds of sharpened sprigs rose before Rohesia. She turned just a little too quickly; her feet slipped out from under her and she slid through the mud towards the heap of trees. She released a terrifying wail as she rolled into the flattened side of a wide tree; the branches entangled her and scratched at her as she tried to pull free. Her heart pounded faster.

Thump, thump, thump.

Stop struggling! With each ragged breath twigs scrapped against her stomach but she stopped fighting them. Three times she kicked against the solid fallen tree, hoping to allow herself more movement.

Thump, thump, thump.

Nothing. She let out a puff of breath and laid her head against the muddy ground. I deserve this, but no! No I don’t! She scolded herself over and over. Maybe I did run away, but if I didn’t I would be dead. I didn’t come all this way just to give up, stuck in a big old mess. She lashed out with her teeth and bit into a bunch of twigs. The edges cut into her gums but she pulled with all her might and ripped the bunch away. She continued ripping bunches away until her upper legs were free and she could stand with them. With just enough momentum she pulled her back legs out of the tangled mess. Relief and pride flowed through her. I’m strong enough to do this.

She was terrified of leaving her old life behind but even more afraid to stay. If she stayed they would probably have killed her though she could never have been sure. What if I stayed? Maybe I would have been pardoned and gone back to work as usual. Even she knew she was lying to herself. Trying not to pay attention to the minuscule cuts covering much of her body, she decided to continue at a steady walk. The cuts on her skin weren’t as deep as the cuts on her heart. She may have been a servant to her herd but she loved many a soul there. Now they’re gone and I’m gone.

Rohesia stopped next to a thick based tree that was almost fully white, only a few brown patches remained. She nudged the tree with her nose, curious why it was white while all of the trees nearby were covered in brown. When she touched the bark it fell away, revealing the brown beneath. This was strangely terrible to Rohesia. Something that white had to be pure, but when she touched the tree its’ purity vanished, turning to a contaminated brown. Is that what I do? Do I destroy, poison? Her thoughts were nonsense. She was in perhaps the lowest place she had been since she was only two. She shook off the memories and the emotions that came with them. I have to keep going.

Thump, thump, thump.

Eyes wide, Rohesia’s head shot up. She couldn’t tell where the noise had come from. She defensively backed in circles looking for the source of the sound. She thought she was alone, but yet she still could be. Maybe it was some fox or squirrel running along the treetops, but she couldn’t help feeling defensive. She wasn’t used to being in situations where she didn’t have the control and not long ago she had been tangled in a mess of trees! She was starting to wonder that, even if it meant death, maybe she should have never entered these woods.

"Hello?"

Image credits

Messages In This Thread
No More Stories To Tell - by Rohesia - 04-03-2014, 08:20 PM
RE: No More Stories To Tell - by Dalibor - 04-03-2014, 09:34 PM
RE: No More Stories To Tell - by Rohesia - 04-04-2014, 03:39 PM
RE: No More Stories To Tell - by Abishia - 04-04-2014, 06:21 PM
RE: No More Stories To Tell - by Rohesia - 04-07-2014, 02:51 PM
RE: No More Stories To Tell - by Dalibor - 04-08-2014, 12:05 AM
RE: No More Stories To Tell - by Abishia - 04-08-2014, 08:09 PM
RE: No More Stories To Tell - by Delinne - 04-09-2014, 03:08 AM
RE: No More Stories To Tell - by Rohesia - 04-09-2014, 03:55 PM