the Rift

[OPEN] Detour

Ruske Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Ruske;;
above all, do no harm.

Standing guard proved uncomfortable, at best. No one approached us; indeed, no other soul stirred down the beach. Only the raucous creaking of gulls filled my ears. Idly, I peered up at them, ears sweeping back. Perhaps in another lifetime, I would have considered the arrangement idyllic. We stood – lay – quite alone, teased by the ocean breeze. If only I knew anything about the mare… But I did not, thrust into the burden of her company by circumstance, and nothing more.

Time passed, and I observed no more convulsive shivering beneath her skin. Instead, she kicked as if caught in the throes of some dream – good or bad. One eye cocked in her direction, I wondered what it was. Where had she come from? Not here… I knew that, certain the barren stretch of land made home to no one. Has she once known the Moonlit Tides, as I had? Or some other distant shore…? My eyes fell on the strange collection of shells woven into her mane – unnoticed in our previous anxiety. Strange.

As I watched, something of her shifted. Her body tensed, lungs gasping fitfully from the natural throes of sleep. A nightmare. For a moment, I glanced across the shore, eyes measuring the cool play of waves farther down. I might leave… She may not even remember me. I owed her nothing, after all – had done more than any obligation might demand. But I glanced again at the stranger, small and to all appearances frightened. With a sigh, I reached down to nudge her gently with my nose, hoping for no violent retaliation.

"You’re dreaming." The words left my chest dryly, not exactly free of mirth. When had I been reduced to playing babysitter like this…? But it was nearly pleasant, alone with the sand and the sea and no obligation, at all – acting only because I wished to.

@[Mermaid]

Messages In This Thread
Detour - by Ruske - 04-07-2014, 07:20 PM
RE: Detour - by Mermaid - 04-11-2014, 12:36 AM
RE: Detour - by Ruske - 04-14-2014, 06:00 PM
RE: Detour - by Mermaid - 04-30-2014, 12:47 AM
RE: Detour - by Ruske - 05-04-2014, 08:29 PM
RE: Detour - by Mermaid - 05-04-2014, 11:14 PM
RE: Detour - by Ruske - 05-05-2014, 12:46 AM
RE: Detour - by Mermaid - 05-05-2014, 11:39 PM
RE: Detour - by Ruske - 05-06-2014, 01:09 PM