the Rift

of mice and men

Ruske Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
A vial of hope and a vial of pain
in the light they both look the same

I did not fail to recognize the quick – uncomprehending – flicker of his eyes to my horn. As the pegasi had once seemed alien to me, then I must seem alien to this creature. The notion was hardly new to me, but it stirred a faint uneasiness in the back of my mind. That a realm existed devoid of unicorns, untouched by our hooves… I wished, briefly, that I might see it.

Then the stranger spoke.

“Who strapped that horn to you?” The question took a surprising form. My ears twitched; my head twitched, jerking startled against the long, gaunt structure of my neck. ”Who?” Was it common practice in his land? Could it be my kind was only alien to him because they were slaughtered, butchered and robbed of their clever horns? One of my ears twitched thoughtfully back – but why affix the horns to equines? ”It is my own,” I explained, my tones even to mask the quick interrogatives dancing under my skull. ”I am a unicorn.” There; I had taught him the word. For a moment I studied the boy in silence, wondering if his questions in the face of the unexpected implied intelligence – moreso than the average horse. I did like the sound of them, rolling nervous as they did off his tongue. He was, at least, not inclined toward attack.

”This is Helovia,” I said in response to his next question. My tail twitched as I cast a glance around at the trees. ”Specifically, you stand in the Threshold – the land between lands. It belongs to no one, though beyond the forest lies my home, and the homes of others. You would be welcome in most, I am sure.” But moreso in the World’s Edge, I added privately. Before I could explain more, the noise of footsteps drew my attention from behind: a winged mare, slight and quiet, approaching like a specter. Muscle drew rigid beneath my skin but with a taught, unhappy breath I willed my body to be still.

She is not a ghost she is alive.

The stranger, too, responded with alarm. I cocked an ear in his direction as he stuttered over the appearance of wings -- yes, lovely and surprising. An understanding smirk twitched at my features quickly, disappearing in a moment’s time. ”You will find Helovia is home to many strange and wonderful things,” I informed the equine as I turned again in his direction. ”My name is Ruske. I am a nurse for the World’s Edge, where we welcome all, and celebrate the vital importance of peace and knowledge.” I could not be quite certain this was true; I knew only a little of Kahlua, after all, and in perfect honesty she did not seem the type much given to pursuits of knowledge. But the Edge was home to gifted healers, all of them kind. He would be welcome there – I knew this, at least. He seemed rather soft, to my eye, and ill-suited to anywhere much harder. I cocked a glance at the pegasus anyway, curious myself as to her origins and her purpose in the trees. Would she prove more eloquent than myself? I supposed it doubtful in all honesty, but perhaps her silence was merely a way of biding her time.

Another noise from somewhere in the trees caught my attention before long -- another mare (were they so numerous?). I tired of the many interruptions; meeting her nod with a blank stare, I only sighed under my breath. As if oblivious to any possibility of conversation before her arrival, she rattled off some series of inane information – most of which had already been shared – and politely I waited for her to fall silent. She must be young; I hoped she was young. Otherwise, she was merely irritating, and I found my mood souring toward the Falls quite immediately. ”A pleasure indeed,” I growled, my tone only just managing to remain polite. No more needed to be said; I had spoken my piece, and must resign myself to waiting. Hopefully this poor.. Badger… could see reason. If not… I supposed I did not want him, though the idea of losing him to either of the mares prickled the back of my mind. Highly suggest… I snorted, ears tilting back before I forced them forward once again. I might highly suggest the others all leave.

[ @[Ghost] Tried to keep straight the order everything happened in.... er, poke me if I messed something up. ]

Messages In This Thread
of mice and men - by Badger - 04-12-2014, 07:08 PM
RE: of mice and men - by Ruske - 04-12-2014, 07:26 PM
RE: of mice and men - by Ghost - 04-12-2014, 08:09 PM
RE: of mice and men - by Badger - 04-15-2014, 10:28 AM
RE: of mice and men - by Abishia - 04-15-2014, 08:36 PM
RE: of mice and men - by Ruske - 04-21-2014, 04:22 PM
RE: of mice and men - by Ghost - 04-23-2014, 08:37 AM