the Rift

[DROP] Chthonic Rites [Earth/Water Magic Drop]

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

More come than the ancient creature anticipated, and she is simultaneously amused by and irked with their answers. Such self-absorption, these creatures, answering based on what their heart desired and not what the whole of their race would want. Only one answered as the sphinx wanted, though two others gave acceptable responses.

As for the others...she gave them their answers in turn, her mouth never opening. Those to whom she spoke heard her voice within their minds, letting no others be privy to their exchange.

To the first, she considered the answer carefully. It was not correct, and was given based on selfish want - but to strive for peace was the goal of many a great creature she had seen pass through the ages. "A noble goal, sought after by many through the eons. You may remain, painted one," she said softly.

The second was but a child, the wear of time not present on her soul, and the sphinx expected a childlike answer. She was not disappointed. "Air exists from one moment to the next, in the past and in the present. Air was, is, and will continue being. Pay more attention next time, young one. You may remain.".

Sneering, the strange amalgam of creatures snorted at the third to come hither and answer the same as the foolish child before her. She would forgive and innocent their folly, but not one who blindly made the same mistake of paying little heed to the first line of the riddle. "A fool's steps lead to death, but to follow a fool to ruin is a greater sin," she said. "You are not worthy." The one that came right after this failure also earned the sphinx's ire. "A life spent striving for perfection is a sad life indeed. You are not worthy."

The next to approach was a pegasus mare, her answer one of the few the sphinx found acceptable thus far. The dark unicorn female to follow seemed to study the one who answered prior, and echoed the response. "A dangerous thing, to rely on the supposed wisdom of another. You are lucky the winged one before you is clever. You may both remain," the ancient myth said to both at once.

Another horned female approached, and at her answer, the sphinx's expression shifted to a sad, slight frown. "Immortality is a myth, and such bastardized longevity a curse. Perhaps one day you will be worthy, but it is not this day."

The spotted male that came after answered 'spirit', and the lavender-eyed creature considered this silently for a time. It was a somewhat unique answer, to be sure. A spirit did not exist until a mortal was born; it was never seen, could not be seen, and reaching another's soul, connecting with another soul, was a common pastime that these short-lived creatures strove for. And was it not the magic within her soul that she was seeking to give away? Interesting. "I accept your answer. You may remain," the sphinx purred within his mind.

Finally, the last to come forth smelled of booze and looked as if had been in one too many drunken brawls - yet his was the answer that was utterly and wholly correct. Never wise to count out those who seemed least likely to succeed, she surmised. "Correct. You may remain."

Now, she spoke to the minds of all who stood before her; all who were still vying to be most worthy for her gift. "I am greater than your winged divines and viler than your most debased demons. Your most opulent need me, while your destitute already possess me. But beware - for if you consume me, you shall perish. What am I?"

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Those who were eliminated in round 1:

Sikeax
Abishia
Agrona

Those who answered correctly and were safe:
Alysanne
Delinne
Rostislav

Those who remain:
@[Kahlua]
@[Merida]
@[Alysanne]
@[Delinne]
@[Ciceron]
@[Rostislav]

Those who answered correctly were safe from elimination. All others were subjected to a dice roll, and those who rolled an even number were eliminated.

Round 2 begins now. All who remain, you have 72 hours to answer the second riddle.

darknightoftroy

Messages In This Thread
RE: Chthonic Rites [Earth/Water Magic Drop] - by Random Event - 05-13-2014, 03:07 PM