the Rift

[PRIVATE] somewhere nobody knows you

Ruske Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
A vial of hope and a vial of pain
in the light they both look the same

I did not attempt to argue when she began extolling my virtues – however incorrect her analysis might be. I enjoyed the praise, though I weathered it without expression, merely watching and wishing she might find the same easy list when looking inward. Perhaps in time… I watched her carefully for the time being, reading with difficulty the movement of her features. But I could not miss the way she crumpled in face of praise – the way she fell toward me, her face resting against the rough muscle of my neck. I stood a brief moment, unsure of what I ought to say – but perhaps the moment required no speech. I let the rangy curve of my neck draw around her, briefly, to acknowledge the moment. Perhaps it was inopportune, but so much touching left me feeling odd. Distracted.

“I didn’t think I’d want anyone else to find me.” We had drawn apart by the time she spoke it, but still an odd – delightful – feeling punctuated the statement, singing somewhere in the endings of dead nerves. Simpering, I cocked my head at her, oddly relieved. I was coming to feel… I could not name it. Possessive, perhaps. Even if I could not guarantee to keep her safe from myself, I resented the thought of anyone else harming her. It was not a kind emotion.

“Good,” I said at last, brusquely, in response to her last statement. Drawing away, I gazed at the long shadows around us. A pity we could not remain in this forest, rather than the World’s Edge… though even as I thought it, I wondered if I would not miss that place. Few of its members I considered treasured friends, but I knew enough of them to feel a little longing when I thought of leaving forever. I was becoming too old for running.

When she told me of the dragon’s response, I cocked an eye back at him. A strange creature – more quarrelsome than Evangeline, at least. Perhaps more bitter a beast than myself, as well… I watched him for a long moment, then nodded. “Let’s hope you’ve no more reason to set me aflame.” Though I hardly doubted, in the future ahead of us both, that I might never set a toe out of line, again. With a shake of my head, I blinked at Evangeline once more.

“Then perhaps we might return to the Edge… together.” It seemed fitting, in echo of my arrival. “Though I’m sure I would not regret taking the longest path through these trees… they do remind one of the Woodlands, don’t they?”

@[Evangeline]

Messages In This Thread
somewhere nobody knows you - by Evangeline - 05-07-2014, 10:43 PM
RE: somewhere nobody knows you - by Ruske - 05-08-2014, 12:17 AM
RE: somewhere nobody knows you - by Evangeline - 05-10-2014, 10:10 PM
RE: somewhere nobody knows you - by Ruske - 05-11-2014, 09:42 PM
RE: somewhere nobody knows you - by Evangeline - 05-11-2014, 11:34 PM
RE: somewhere nobody knows you - by Ruske - 05-12-2014, 12:09 AM
RE: somewhere nobody knows you - by Evangeline - 05-12-2014, 10:16 PM
RE: somewhere nobody knows you - by Ruske - 05-15-2014, 01:45 AM
RE: somewhere nobody knows you - by Evangeline - 05-15-2014, 07:56 PM
RE: somewhere nobody knows you - by Ruske - 05-15-2014, 08:37 PM