the Rift

[OPEN] End of the World

Ruske Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
 Ruske</style>
     A coward is incapable of exhibiting love;
         it is the prerogative of the brave.</style>

Spring flowered brightly in every direction. The scent of rain accompanied the morning’s sunlight, but with the storm past overnight, I only experienced its aftereffects: soggy earth, flowers pearled with water droplets. My every step squished somewhat unpleasantly, but ignoring that, I found reason enough to be cheerful. Morning’s fog disintegrated into the bright air as I moved. My course took me beyond the forest, through the meadows beyond, mane flapping sadly away from my neck. I suppose I made at least a more impressive silhouette than I had on the day of my arrival; days of care had filled most of the hollows in my flanks, and warmer weather had at last convinced my winter coat to let go its hold. Still, I felt somewhat uneasy on the open ground. Perhaps it may be explained by a long swath of my history spent under the darkness of trees; I was not meant for open air. Or for the sea.

Yet it was the sea I sought, and with careful steps I found at last the edge of the World’s Edge. The crumbling rock beneath my hooves shone white, like bone – like the skeleton of the earth itself. I blinked at it for a time before allowing my eyes to follow the writhing course of the sea far below. Light glinted on the waves, too, where they crashed and broke against the wall of the cliffs. The roar of it all funneled up to me in a strange, muffled fashion. I wondered briefly if anyone had ever fallen to their death from such a cliff – one misstep and gone over the edge. It struck me suddenly that for all the kindness of those living within this place, the land itself held only a wild disregard for any who required its protection in order to live. But perhaps that was the nature of the world.

“Impressive, at least,” I muttered, as the ocean thrashed and rattled carelessly below. Not to my taste, exactly, but… impressive, nonetheless.

image by BlueRidgeKitties @ flickr.com</style>

@[Ayelet]

Messages In This Thread
End of the World - by Ruske - 05-16-2014, 05:29 PM
RE: End of the World - by Ayelet - 05-17-2014, 06:55 PM
RE: End of the World - by Ruske - 06-10-2014, 10:47 PM