the Rift

[OPEN] One of these things is not like the other...

Zikar-Sin Posts: 78
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 8
M.E.

It was a patient smile that continued to grace the features of the Haruspex as he gazed down gently on the confused little children. Their ignorance did not perturb him in the slightest; was he not responsible for the education of young foals? Their inexperience was not their fault—it was simply a matter of time and age, and no mortal soul could control those variables.

So when Erebos continued to display a considerable protection for his pale comrade, Sin felt a flush of affection that tinged on the border of pride; he absolutely adored the young lad’s strong sense of duty to his herdmates. A most desirable trait to have in a young child, surely. His father would have been proud of his powerful sense of alliance, Zikar-Sin thought to himself. And if he isn’t, I’m certainly proud. “You’re right, Prince Erebos; she hasn’t done any of those things,” he spoke in a gentle voice, a voice of reason and patient education, “nor should we punish her for things she hasn’t done yet. But tell me, young Erebos…If you and her were to grow up, friends as you are, and she were to act most strange and erratic, and finally attacked you and your kin—why—would you stand for it? Would you allow her to wreak havoc and bring sadness and ruin into our peaceful little basin? No, I don’t think so…you’re a strong, courageous boy, Erebos, and no doubt you would protect your future domains…but I do not imagine you would like to battle your old friend.” It was imagination, surely—for Sin did not comprehend those sorts of moral scruples. As a matter of absolute fact, he had some trouble in that moment fully comprehending the clear states of upset that both children were displaying; in his mind’s eye, they were simply having a conversation, in the most dispassionate of forms. “I do not seek her punishment; rather, my dear Prince, I want her to stay with us, very much so, and I want her to keep her sweet, docile nature. I do not want to see her become an enemy when you’re older. If there were any other way, we’d take it—but I’ve seen the aggression of Pegasi, and I—“

At this point, Sin was most dreadfully interrupted by the filly in question. As he gazed down at the tiny module of righteous anger and confused, hapless terror—and as he watched this tiny child lay bare her soul for that fraction of a second in impassioned defense, the only thought Zikar-Sin had was how utterly adorable she was, in all her explosive emotion; it was almost as though she were a grown body! And yet, there in his amusement, there sat the bitter gall of disappointment as he regarded her passionate outburst; she ran from them, and the regret grew in his breast as he sighed deeply, watching the pale child make her hasty, spindle-legged retreat.

“…but this is precisely what I mean, Erebos,” he said quietly, looking down once again to the young prince, eyes wide and sorrowful with the remorse that he never once got a chance to touch those wings of hers. You ask questions and try to figure out the world you live in. She ran from the face of reason and truth, instead of meeting it head on. I fear her passions have already begun to become unruly….” He sighed again, this time delicately, tremulously. “Do not stop protecting her, Prince,” he said to the dark colt, gravely serious, “Try to reason with her, be her anchor to proper civility. Encourage her transformation…or she may yet turn against us, whether she believes it or not.” He shook his head, monocle glinting slightly in the twilight. “Oh, I do not want to see her become an enemy...”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IMG Credit: ness094@deviantart.com

Messages In This Thread
RE: One of these things is not like the other... - by Zikar-Sin - 07-24-2014, 11:26 AM