the Rift

[OPEN] strangers make the best confidantes [Petra Welcoming]

Ruske Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
RUSKE

“My friend.” Kahlua always spoke kindly. I wondered if she truly saw the world as she greeted it, or if she had some other reason for the brilliance of her disposition. But I knew too little of the queen to judge, and hardly cared enough to dwell on it. She introduced the dun mare at her side as Petra; I acknowledged with a nod. “Pleasure to meet you.” Not exactly true, but she had done nothing to annoy me, yet. Gratefully, I followed the two mares to a shadier spot. The relief overcame us all immediately, the darkness of spreading branches a haven from the beating sun. Lazily, my tail flicked out behind me – betraying a sort of nervous tension, curiosity maybe. I meant to practice diplomacy if I must live among such cheerful creatures, but I still wondered if I didn’t seem, perhaps – a little rusty. Or worse.

I looked to Petra for an answer to my question, though something about her struck me as odd. She was nervous, perhaps... Her forelimb moved as if to paw the ground, then stilled. When she did speak, it was with brilliance similar to Kahlua’s, but I couldn’t help wondering if at least some of that was affected, rather than genuine. In part, my suspicions roused in answer to her evasive statement. I, too, had traveled alone for some time, but I still possessed at least a rough idea of the distance and the time spent away. Indeed, when pressed for information on my journeys, I had given a similar answer to Evangeline upon my arrival in the World’s Edge. This pale mare piqued my curiosity, then, if nothing else. If she was hiding something, what had she to hide? And why? If she was not.... at least it gave her some illusion of intrigue.

She changed the subject soon afterward. With no reason to keep it grounded in matters of her time before Helovia, I nodded, though with some reluctance. “Fortunately, my skills have not been necessary yet. I’ve not been here very long, however.” For a moment I fell silent, the tips of my ears cocking back in a frown. What had my training been like? Desperation, exploration... It had been bloody and unpleasant, all things considered. I could almost remember the feel of mud on my legs, though often now it was a distant memory – something, at least, I could look upon with objectivity. I had made promises and broken them. I had become a better man in the process, I supposed, though recently I felt only fangless and ancient. “I think Kahlua could better explain the way healers are trained here. I got my start in a land far away, on the battlefield, though I have never fought, myself. Soldiers and peasants make for good practice, at least. No one ever really cares if they die. Not – that anyone I’ve cared for has died recently. It’s been some time... Hm.” Somehow the explanation had gotten away from me. With an exasperated grunt, I turned away, sinking further into a slouch. “I’m sure Kahlua’s told you our goal is one of peace,” I said at last. “Are you interested in healing?” Who wouldn’t be, after my stunning introduction to the art?

“Our Moon Doctor is called Resplendence – she oversees the healers here. And works mostly in herbs, I believe. It is important to know the common ones, at least.” Feeling I’d spoken enough, I fell silent, and wondered if there was a conversation I could manage to keep cheerful rather than macabre. My eyes ran over the bony frame of the mare before me, however, and I supposed life was quite macabre enough to prevent such a fact. Kahlua may be sunny; I was not. I had a quickly fading interest in ever pretending to be.

NursE
world's edge
Image Credit

Messages In This Thread
RE: strangers make the best confidantes [Petra Welcoming] - by Ruske - 06-22-2014, 11:27 PM