the Rift

whether do i wander [open]

Scheherazade Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

For any normal nomad, usually speaking of their place of birth and raising became the subject of misty-eyed nostalgia and the faintest whiff of self-doubt. Why had they left in the first place, what were they searching for? And on occasion, those who they were conversing would pick up on this reminiscence and decide to twist the knife just to see if the traveller really did long for home. Scheherazade was never one for looking back with rose-tinted glasses. She did not long for that place in the middle of the desert anymore and, she suspected, that place did not long for her either. Instead, she viewed it the same as any of the other lands she had stayed in - and no doubt how she’d view Helovia one day (should she decide to leave). She had been called heartless because of this; callous and cruel because she seemed to have detached herself from those that loved her. Stupid accusations dripped from the lips of those who presumed to know her past. It was both amusing and insulting at the same time.

So it was with mild relief that the young mare before her merely showed interest, and no desire to poke and prod at what she had no business in. And a brief look to the stallion gave Hera an impression of indifference - but then she was quick to come to the conclusion that he would be hard to get a read on either way. The girl’s voice pulled her attention swiftly back, a single ear twitching at the way her name sounded coming off of a foreign tongue. It was always fascinating, how those from different regions pronounced her calling - how the father away from her birth land she got, the more estranged the accent became. It was never a negative experience, even when she had to teach one particularly dull-witted stallion how to pronounce her name by sounding it out for him (even then he got it wrong). It was probably one of the few things that she enjoyed about being a nomad no matter where she ended up.

She listened in patient silence as the young mare spoke truthfully, about how she lived among the sky-folk that some unicorns detested so much. Hera did not count herself among their number - if anything, she was curious about those who had harnessed the sky and rode the warm breezes. It must be terribly freeing, to be able to fly. Sometimes, to her at least, it seemed almost like a burden. Oh and the temptation of going somewhere warm and dry was so very strong. The last two places she had called ‘home’ (and she used that word loosely) were cold, damp and wet even in the summer. But she wouldn’t be so quick as to jump at the first offer that came her way. For the sake of balance, she would listen to the stallion - whom the pale girl had just identified as a King. Hera didn’t know if she should be flattered or not. She chose to not be, royalty were just like the rest after all.

Yes. Very hard to get a read on. The stallion carved from black-spotted marble with chips of ice for eyes. Soft voice from cold edges. His motivations unclear, his true nature hidden or worn on his sleeve - Hera couldn’t tell. She watched him impassively, taking in every little movement he made as she desperately tried to pin him down. She was fighting a losing battle. World’s Edge seemed a fitting name for the place he described and a nerve in her shoulder twitched on it’s own accord as she tried to imagine the climate. Costal areas are usually damp and cool but it depended on the temperature of the water the winds were coming off of. No doubt it’d be breezy, the closer to the edge you got. She might be speaking out of term, but if his conclusion made her doubt that.

“I thank you greatly for your offer, sir, but I am afraid the pull of warmth is too much for someone who grew up in a sand pit.” She smiled gently, dipping her head. She was genuinely grateful, normally she only got one offer on a ‘take it or leave’ basis. Turning her attention back to the mare, she retained the smile. “I have no ill feelings towards those who fly rather than run, and your southern sands sound too tempting to resist. I shall follow you there, miss.”

[so sorry for the delay ;___;]

Messages In This Thread
whether do i wander [open] - by Scheherazade - 08-23-2012, 06:43 PM
RE: whether do i wander [open] - by Ophelia - 08-23-2012, 07:30 PM
RE: whether do i wander [open] - by Mauja - 08-25-2012, 06:30 AM
RE: whether do i wander [open] - by Scheherazade - 08-27-2012, 04:29 PM
RE: whether do i wander [open] - by Ophelia - 08-27-2012, 10:01 PM
RE: whether do i wander [open] - by Mauja - 08-29-2012, 07:09 AM
RE: whether do i wander [open] - by Scheherazade - 09-08-2012, 06:41 PM