the Rift

[PRIVATE] Frost Flowers

Ruske Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
RUSKE

I listened to her story without remarking on it. Perhaps I seemed cold, but no platitude had ever done true suffering justice – and a note of sorrow lingered in Resplendence’s history, to have been cast from her own herd... My ears twitched, betraying curiosity, as I wondered what for. She seemed far too gentle to have committed any crime. I struggled to imagine her harming anyone – even the most defenseless foal – and nearly chuckled. “Some fools will never be content with what they have.” I settled for vague wisdom on the nature of others, instead, omitting perhaps that I was often one of those fools, but my desires proved intangible – knowledge, rather than land. More useful, in all respects.

I scuffed half-heartedly at the snow as we walked, every now and then unearthing old grass, bent and withered by a lack of sunlight, before moving on. Calling such a place home might render any man a bit insane; it held a bleak charm, but far from the comforts of home. Perhaps what the Basin needed was a little warmth – a beach, or something of that like. Sun. Sand. It had done well enough for Paladin, in the past – except that he’d run around with his head shoved up the back end of his haunches, anyway. Why were unicorns so constantly daft creatures?

I found the mossy rocks then, and with the Moon Doctor’s agreement, did the best at scraping my cloven hooves could manage. The basket was a boon, at least. It meant we had no reason to carry the stuff in our mouths – and likely increased our carrying capacity at least... tenfold. Perhaps more. Lifting my damp hoof, I attempted to shake some into the basket, feeling at the same time both foolish and excited – keen to try the stuff, once we were back. I glanced to Resplendence again as she spoke, and noticed a weak smile upon her features – a pleasant expression, in all honesty. She ought to smile more. And speak more loudly.

I straightened up, tail twitching, and peered across the steppe. “Perhaps.” The darker of my eyes cocked at her more gently, I added, “Do you often do this alone? I think it would become a tedious chore, without company.” Or perhaps my company made it tedious, and that was the reason for her quiet demeanor. Perhaps she often gathered supplies with Alysanne, and they spent the whole time giggling. I couldn’t know. I stepped forward a pace or two anyway, better to hide the mulish expression quickly overtaking my features.

NursE
world's edge
Image Credit

[ Ugh. I'm sorry I am unable to get a good post out of him recently. ]

Messages In This Thread
Frost Flowers - by Ruske - 06-20-2014, 04:56 PM
RE: Frost Flowers - by Resplendence - 06-22-2014, 01:13 AM
RE: Frost Flowers - by Ruske - 06-22-2014, 11:02 PM
RE: Frost Flowers - by Resplendence - 06-30-2014, 07:40 PM
RE: Frost Flowers - by Ruske - 07-01-2014, 07:20 PM
RE: Frost Flowers - by Resplendence - 07-13-2014, 01:44 AM