the Rift

[PRIVATE] Affection

Ruske Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
 Ruske</style>
     A coward is incapable of exhibiting love;
         it is the prerogative of the brave.</style>

The herd meeting dragged on far longer than necessary. Obediently, I remained to hear the myriad opinions of my herd mates. How many knew Aurelia directly? I would never have guessed the sheer numbers the World’s Edge housed, and compressed between the heat of so many bodies, I quickly grew uncomfortable and wished to leave. Thus, when the press began to dissipate, I spared a momentary glance each for Faeanne and Evangeline, and turned to leave, as well. No doubt another conversation awaited me, though at least I counted myself master of my own fate, in that regard. I had an explanation for the filly, that burden thrust upon me so suddenly and unexpectedly. The sooner Evangeline learned of that particular event, the better. My thoughts curled in disgust the moment I entertained any notion of the filly being my own... biologically, of course. It was no resentment toward Faeanne, but toward her mother, that drove me to speak.

“Evangeline, could you spare a moment?” One ear cocked back toward the weight of the dragon on my back – a pleasant warmth, and one I hoped to keep as we paced through the trees in search of our own meeting place. “I’ve a story to tell you. I think you’ll find it... amusing, at least.” I glanced at Faeanne, then. “I don’t know where your brother is, but come along. You should get to know Evangeline, at least. And Tallis.” I nodded at them both as I spoke. Only when I had left behind the crowd of bodies and the uncertainty of that haphazard meeting place did I slow, and with a long breath, turn to look at both of them.

“Evangeline, this is Faeanne.” I nodded at the filly, uncertain of just how I should act in her presence. Should I touch her? Or give some reassurance? She certainly possessed a sense of self beyond that of most her age, quite probably brought about by her mother’s carelessness. Perhaps what she needed was comfort, then. I reached out tentatively to brush my muzzle over the filly’s ears, if she would allow it. Then retracting my head, I gazed at the chestnut mare. “Faeanne, this is Evangeline. She is a friend of mine.” Good. Introductions finished. And where to start...? My tail whisked earnestly at my hocks. Where, indeed.

“I suppose you know,” I said with a sigh, “the filly belongs to Aurelia. Hmph. Belonged. She was left in my care under no uncertain terms some time ago. Aurelia abandoned her in the Threshold, and I think it best she not be returned to the care of her... mother. But I...” I glanced away, struggling to repress memories better left unexamined – of the last child put into my care, and the bloody flight that hat, ultimately, finished in my entrance to Helovia. I would do better with this one. I... must do better. “Though it may be surprising to hear, I am both out of practice with children and exceptionally poor in dealing with them, in the first place. So.” I cleared my throat. “I hoped, perhaps.... you would help me in looking after her.” I found any attempt at meeting Evangeline’s green eyes too difficult to sustain, and so I gazed again at the filly with the delicate, star-spattered wings. She deserved better than she had gotten. It was a story too often repeated, in the world.

One I did not wish to see repeated again.

image by BlueRidgeKitties @ flickr.com</style>

@[Faeanne] & @[Evangeline]
[ Finally! :D I hope you are both all right with this; if anything seems amiss in my assuming they would be near him at the end of the meeting, just let me know and I'll change it <3 ]

Messages In This Thread
Affection - by Ruske - 07-07-2014, 01:16 AM
RE: Affection - by Faeanne - 07-07-2014, 08:56 AM
RE: Affection - by Evangeline - 07-07-2014, 08:23 PM
RE: Affection - by Ruske - 07-09-2014, 11:50 PM
RE: Affection - by Faeanne - 07-10-2014, 02:33 PM