the Rift

Lay your weary head to rest

Harley Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Harley shifted uncomfortably on his feet as Cheveyo came closer still. It wasn't that he didn't like her, not at all, he was still just a little flinchy around unfamiliar horses. Mares usually didn't pose much of a threat to him, but one could never be certain... She seemed thrown for a second when he found his voice and started asking questions. Perhaps he'd asked too many at once. Well, how else was he going to learn anything? Harley relaxed a little as Cheveyo laughed it off and indulged his curiosity. He was relieved that it would be a relatively brief journey in comparison to the weeks-long trudge it had taken to get this far. He'd hit the boundary, he could stand to walk a little further.

Harley repeated the names of the leaders in his mind, trying to commit them to memory. They weren't exactly mouthfuls, so he had that in his favour. The epithets intrigued him, and he couldn't help but ponder their meaning. Stormbringer suggested power and an affinity for the elements, probably referencing the storms that would whip the sea into a frenzy and batter the cliffs they were heading towards. Sunshower was trickier to decipher. All it brought to mind were legends that sunshowers could be counted as good or bad omens. Any superstitions Harley's herd held were old folk tales, they were blurred, vague and didn't really mean a great deal other then half-hearted optimism for good fortune.
"The Moon goddess," Harley echoed. He didn't comment and allowed his tone to betray nothing, not in the mood to debate, especially when he knew nothing about this mysterious entity, but couldn't help but feel a little sceptical. He'd never been influenced by any deities nor witnessed any religious ceremonies, but he supposed he would find out more once they got there.
"It sounds wonderful," he said finally. The stallion warmed at the idea of having a family again, he'd gone without for far too long.

Next, Cheveyo described the desert. Excluding the extreme heat, which Harley only knew very briefly in the summer, it sounded comparable to an already familiar framework in his memory. Soft sandy terrain? Sparse prickly plants? Harley nodded, understanding dawning on him, "I see! It's a beach! I mean.. like a beach." There had been a long sandy beach with prickly, spiky dune vegetation about half a day's trek from his windswept moor. The plants had been fat and succulent but salty, spiky, and tough, clinging fiercely to their precious fresh water. His mother and the other mares had all too frequently warned him about straining himself in the deeper sand, but where it was more compact, he and his friend used to race at a hard gallop along the shore. He'd met his father there a couple of times too. Cheveyo asked if there was anything else, snapping him out of his reverie, and the roan stallion shook his head.

"I can walk and talk," he said quietly. He was retreating a little now, embarrassed once he realised he was wasting the mare's time. She'd rather get going, and he could understand that. These woods weren't especially dangerous or creepy, but the sooner Harley could escape them, the better he'd feel. If a lot of outsiders came in through here, it might not be long before someone else stumbled upon them, and that could be bad. Besides, he was eager to see the World's Edge, whatever on earth that meant. Was there something special that distinguished these cliffs enough for such a dramatic name? Harley supposed only time would tell.
"Aye, we should get going, right? Lead on?" He jerked his head in a vague direction, gesturing for the mare to start walking.

OOC: @[Cheveyo] Where the fricklefrack did the response to this go. I swear I had it and posted it. I'm so tired and life and blah excuses. I'm so sorry.

Messages In This Thread
Lay your weary head to rest - by Harley - 07-10-2014, 02:28 PM
RE: Lay your weary head to rest - by Alija - 07-10-2014, 06:50 PM
RE: Lay your weary head to rest - by Cheveyo - 07-10-2014, 10:04 PM
RE: Lay your weary head to rest - by Bellona - 07-11-2014, 03:05 AM
RE: Lay your weary head to rest - by Harley - 07-15-2014, 12:13 AM
RE: Lay your weary head to rest - by Alija - 07-17-2014, 12:13 AM
RE: Lay your weary head to rest - by Cheveyo - 07-17-2014, 09:34 AM
RE: Lay your weary head to rest - by Bellona - 07-18-2014, 12:08 PM
RE: Lay your weary head to rest - by Harley - 07-20-2014, 07:15 PM
RE: Lay your weary head to rest - by Alija - 07-23-2014, 07:10 PM
RE: Lay your weary head to rest - by Cheveyo - 07-30-2014, 09:20 PM