the Rift

[OPEN] Spiders and dragonflies

Faeanne Posts: 61
Outcast
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.3hh :: 2 Years :: Birdsong
TierRen
Faeanne

"I think it depends on whether you're afraid of dying or not" His words caused me to wonder, was I afraid of death? Death was a concept that was still new to the innocence of my childish mind, all that I really knew about it was that if something was dead then it wasn't coming back no matter what you tried. Not that I had ever tried to revive a dead squirrel or anything, I had just been told that it was the end of the end. My feathered shoulders rolled ever so slightly as I shook my gold dusted skull from side to side in response to his statement. "I don't think I am afraid of death." I spoke the truth, as of right now death did not phase me, but surely as I grew older and my mind matured that statement would change. The question was, would I grow to fear the idea of death? Or strive for it?
"I think I believe the fall to be worse than the impact. Once you're knocked off the edge the landing becomes inevitable. All that remains is to wait, because whatever you do, however much you flail and struggle you will only ever get closer to the ground. Dying is easy and what lies beyond is a mystery; fear and powerlessness are the only constants." My dark harks swiveled as the black masked stallion spoke words of great wisdom on his own question, his response made me wonder if my own response had been full of childish wonder. Of course I knew that I still had much growing up to do before anything would make any sense at all, but I still figured that the landing would be worse than the fall. But then, sometimes, you didn't know you were falling until your body made impact with whatever surface would catch it. A shudder passed through my frame as I thought of that discouraging thought, at least I knew that my fall had already begun, it was just a matter of when I would land and how I would land. "But who knows. For all we know, rocks might not feel pain at all. Maybe they enjoy the fall instead, finally being able to fly. You should ask Father Earth sometime, if you ever come across him." The grey's words and the grin that split his inky features were just enough to distract me from wondering when my impact would be. This "Father Earth" he spoke of, was someone that I was not familiar with just yet. But then if he were some sort of Deity, I had no knowledge of any of them, the beginning of my life had been too hectic thus far for any learning of Helovian lore.
My gold dusted limbs followed the dragon-carrying stallion as he moved away from the edge of the cliff and closer to the forested part of the Edge, listening as he spoke once more. "How about the trees? Do you think they feel? Or the water, the wind, the shadows beneath the roots? I bet no one told you that the moon is the eye of a lavender mare, beautiful as the night itself with locks drifting in the breeze... She looks over this land, and those who live within its borders. You too, little moth." I wondered over his words, rolling them over and over again in my innocent mind as I wondered if the things that surrounded me truly did have thoughts and emotions as we moving creatures did. What a dreadful life it must be, rooted solidly to one place for the entirety of ones life. My creamy brush-like tail lashed against my slender sides as my kissers began to part and my vocal chords warmed up ever so slightly...only to be interrupted by my name being hollered through the still Tallsun air. “Faeanne!” The bay stallion who had graciously taken me into his life when my mother abandoned me had appeared out of nowhere, and for a moment it looked as if he was going to run me right over. But his hind limbs slid forward just in time to stop the possible disastrous effects of his speed. A smile began to creep across my features, as I was happy to see Papa Ruske, but the look across his own face caused the smile to fall off just as quickly as it had plastered itself. “Faeanne, what are you doing wandering about in the middle of the night?” The look of anger across his normally quite pleasant features was enough to make anyone shake in their boots. My skull lowered slightly as I took a small step closer to the stallion so my forehead would be pressed up against his shoulder. "I'm sorry I scared you Papa, I couldn't sleep." As I was speaking the bay's attention was drawn to the black masked stallion who's name I had never gotten in the midst of our thoughtful conversation. Papa's voice carried a new kind of hardness as he questioned the stallion's identity and for a moment I hoped he wouldn't chase off my new found friend.

"Talking"
Tag;; @[Lace]
Words;; 861
Notes;; Kae, I prefer to be tagged ;d <3

Image Credit

please tag Fae in all posts
link to thread tracker

Messages In This Thread
Spiders and dragonflies - by Lace - 07-11-2014, 11:29 AM
RE: Spiders and dragonflies - by Faeanne - 07-11-2014, 01:20 PM
RE: Spiders and dragonflies - by Lace - 07-11-2014, 01:35 PM
RE: Spiders and dragonflies - by Faeanne - 07-11-2014, 10:21 PM