the Rift

[OPEN] home

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven

100%

Africa lingered in thought by the edge of the lake. It had been weeks since the unexpected and not particularly welcome arrival of the erratic young Pegasus, Aurelia. She thought it curious that the normally outspoken creature, brazen and ridiculous, had remained in the shadows of herd-life since her return; she did not hate the girl, but mistrust and disappointment had severely tarnished the fragile affiliation they shared.

As the suns turned over without drama, and with no sign of the prevalent disloyalty she was known for, the wary one-winged’s mind began to soften to the idea of her permanency. Closing her eyes meditatively, she sighed and prayed softly, "Can she be trusted Lord? I'm not sure. My heart holds onto this weariness and my mind aches at just the thought of her..." Africa didn’t need a response, the contemplation was rhetorical, and she could only imagine how wearing the pointless quarrels of mortals might be. Nevertheless, it felt right to share with him all which weighed upon her so heavily.

"...so much time has passed already, and I fear my pettiness holding onto this grudge. It all seems inconsequential now, but the scar of her betrayal runs deep through me. I likened her as my sister, and she vanished into thin air- disregarding all which I’d offered, flirting with the dangers I’d hoped to shield her from." Pastel eyes opened, glumness pooling through their midst and long dark lashes fluttered jadedly. "The herd will decide... That will be fair." she declared then definitively, and dipped trembling grey lips to drink.

By some (unfortunate) coincidence, a vision of Aurelia inundated her settling, clearing mind then, and Africa groaned; but the mare with the golden accents was apparently not alone. She closed her eyes reluctantly, hesitantly, and when again they opened she was far above the rough golden desert sands, gazing down upon the two mare's arrival. Have you seen her before? she probed curiously, but Silas’s hooked beak shook, no.

Africa fell heavily from the mind of her bonded, her waiting, motionless body jolting suddenly as her creamy gaze peeled apart. Quickly, with cracking knees twisting beneath, the Starry-Eyed heaved up the crumbling bank of the lake and broke into a loose, undulating canter in the direction of the pair. Silas remained above them, watching and circling, guiding his bonded forward from the thick luxury of their paradise. Sweat beaded her mottled hide, lathering against the friction of her sprint, but she barely noticed; like the weight of the blazing sun and the dry sour air, they were all qualities of this rugged land she’d grown to both respect and cherish.

Soon she was upon them, slowing amidst plumes of stirred dust, smiling; pampering Aurelia to affection she was yet to earn. But Africa was a tender soul who wanted terribly to find the best in the world, and in this instance she was prepared to believe that the younger mare might truly be making an active effort to better the territory she wished apparently, to call home. Perhaps her motivation was not as self centred as remembered. "Afternoon..." the one-winged greeted them quietly, placidly, and she turned to the horned stranger thoughtfully. Eyes narrowed curiously towards the hybrid mare’s arcing hooves, and then promptly back to find her crimson gaze. "Welcome to Dragon’s Throat. I’m Africa, Sultana of these parts."

image credits
Table and Picture by Nicole <3

Messages In This Thread
home - by Aurelia - 07-21-2014, 12:46 AM
RE: home - by Destry - 07-21-2014, 01:18 PM
RE: home - by Destry - 07-23-2014, 10:39 PM
RE: home - by Africa - 07-21-2014, 07:25 PM
RE: home - by Aurelia - 07-22-2014, 03:04 AM
RE: home - by Africa - 07-24-2014, 12:23 AM
RE: home - by Destry - 07-27-2014, 11:45 PM
RE: home - by Africa - 07-28-2014, 06:52 PM
RE: home - by Aurelia - 07-28-2014, 07:51 PM