the Rift

|| Gold Rush

Grimmrot Posts: 11
Aurora Basin Apprentice
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3hh :: 3 {Ages in Tallsun} Buff: NOVICE
Nyte
Grimmrot

The sun on my back is a welcome friend, for I have missed his presence on my travels through the Dark Lands. I never would have thought that a lack of him would be possible; doesn't every creature on the planet require light? Perhaps those lands really do desire the emblazoned touch of the sun, but they just lack the means to harness his power.

If that is the case, then I had better come up with something quick -- there is a great deal at stake! Now... If only I could redirect the sun's rays somehow... My molten orbs seek out the object in my black banner, widening when they witness the sun's light being reflected by them. Realization hits me at the precise moment that a blinding light does, and I squeeze my eyes shut as the brilliant beam infiltrates my vision. Patches of white appear beneath my eyelids as I swing my thick braid around, successfully wrapping the heavy thing around one of my legs. There, it can blind me no longer.

I crack open my ashen lids just as I am about to take a horribly misplaced step -- my ebony hoof flinches away from the sloping ravine before me. I should be relieved, or terrified -- or both! -- but I do not feel the pull of either emotion as I pick my way down the uneven rock face. Wonder has settled over me like a thick blanket, and I relish in its touch as I draw my body closer to what lies at the bottom. My slender legs are sure of themselves as they traipse on shifting soil and propel me across a gap of sharpened stone. I do not worry for my safety as I traverse this shallow ravine, nor do I wonder how this place came to be. Of course, I should be asking myself why there is a ravine in this beautiful forest, but how am I to know the answer to that? I am not a philosopher; I am a trader. And what do I do when I see something of value? I take it.

Although I'm not sure that feathers are valuable to everyone. Maybe just me.

My pink-dashed nose dives right into the nest that I have found, sniffing out for anything that might still be alive while sorting the goodies inside. My naves tighten at the smell of rotting flesh, but the dead do not bother me. I have searched many a carcass for bones and things, and I do not feel a sense of dread at doing so now. Maybe I should -- after all, I am a mare.

And mares can't trade. A bitter laugh erupts from my mouth as I remember what a (very angry) customer once said to me. It wasn't my fault that the value of his gold was just simply not up to par with my rubies -- or was it? Nevertheless, I got what I wanted from him. I kick my leg out to disentangle my braid, showing off the jewel that came of the less-than-honest trade. Yeeeeeaah, mama knows best.

While my mind has been reflecting on past events, my body has expertly plucked a handful of feathers from the nest they were once a part of. Luckily for me -- and unluckily for the residents -- the nest never had a chance to nurture the children it was built for, and so there is no worthless down for me to sift through. There's barely anything for me to gather here, in fact, and my ears flatten against my skull until I find a rather handsome specimen amidst all the rubble. My eyes widen considerably at the sight of it, and my ears immediately swivel back around. It is a beauty of a feather, this colorful thing, and I find it hard to consider making it available for trade.

They'll just have to offer me a pretty penny for it, now won't they? Some would call me a hoarder, but I swear I haven't always been this difficult.

Grasping the feather with my coal black lips, I turn my stained head so that I can tuck it in my mane. I've never bothered with taming it, and the gnarls and twists in my banner should hold my new bauble in place. The metallic blue looks magnificent against the black, and a delighted smile perches on my maw. Out of all of my past finds -- which have been few on my journey to the forest -- have not been nearly as exquisite as this one. I find it odd that I have found such a pretty thing in the remains of a torn and broken nest. The other feathers in it are black; why is this one blue?

Whatever the reason, it's mine now. Pride strikes a fine cord on the instrument of my heart, and I cannot cease to smile as I pull myself back out of the ravine. I had paid barely any attention to the foliage that scoured it, and I especially do not notice it now. A rotten log leans against one scarred wall of the hole that I am in, and another drapes itself across the gap that I leapt over. Without even meaning to, I guide my body towards it, meaning to use it as a bridge. Perhaps it is because of my joy that I neglect to watch my step, and a sharp squeal interrupts my thoughts as I start to fall.

My towering limbs catch on either side of the wood as I go down, scraping the skin on the inside of each leg. My coronets throb from the impact, but it is nothing in comparison to the pain I feel when my narrow chest slams into the fallen tree. The air is snatched from my lungs and I roll my eyes, struggling to breathe. I fumble for purchase with my flailing hinds, too scared of falling further into the crevice and too stupid to know that I am making things worse. The log begins to bow from my weight, and I cast an anxious gaze back to see if it is still anchored in the ground. The soil is too dry in this season, and the roots begin to rattle and shift as I move and, in panic, I expel the last of my breath in a hoarse cry.

Please! Someone help me! I cannot form any words with what little oxygen I have. Instead of making any further attempts at screaming, or trying to hasten my descent, I lay my striped cheek against the decaying bark. The fight has left me for me now, and my legs hang limply below me. I work my nares in a furious attempt to breathe again, gaining a few gasps of air and stirring bits of wood around me.

Was a feather worth all this? I really do not care. The only thing I can think of right now is, please find me.

Praesent luctus, nisl eu pretium porta, lacus nibh ultricies leo, viverra viverra lacus lectus sit amet augue. "talk talk talk"

{Feather taken from Introductions Take Two. Birdy found it and put it here.}

Just watch my fire continue to burn
Credits: Whit's tables were an inspiration | Image| Code by Tamme

Messages In This Thread
|| Gold Rush - by Grimmrot - 07-23-2014, 05:48 PM
RE: || Gold Rush - by Aurelia - 07-24-2014, 02:31 AM
RE: || Gold Rush - by Grimmrot - 08-11-2014, 12:37 AM
RE: || Gold Rush - by Illynx - 08-22-2014, 01:06 PM
RE: || Gold Rush - by Grimmrot - 08-22-2014, 02:38 PM
RE: || Gold Rush - by Illynx - 08-25-2014, 11:01 AM
RE: || Gold Rush - by Grimmrot - 08-27-2014, 07:05 PM
RE: || Gold Rush - by Illynx - 08-31-2014, 12:39 PM