the Rift

Hear the drums of war approach

Ria Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
(hope you don't mind me jumping in! :) Just want this character to get to know somehorse. Or someunicorn.)

Look below, look for prey. Find the mouse, feel the beat. Rip the throat, swallow the body. I tipped to the side, feeling the wind comb my sleek dark brown feathers. I could fly for hours like this, effortlessly, easily. Wedge-tailed Eagles were, after all, aerial birds. The sun soaked in my body, seeming to bleed over my wings, illuminating them in fiery golds. I clicked my hooked beak, narrowing my sharp eyes. Just like the sense of how high I was, me and my species being the apex predator was honed into me, and I was confident and proud to be alone in my domain. Unlike those pesky pegasus. Pegasi? It was unnatural for a four-legged being to be flopping those wings around ungracefully. Me, my name being Ria, didn't particularly dislike or like equines. But by the Gods, how they had sprung up out of nowhere! It irritated me. Or, rather, it irked me. As much as I would like to rip into a young foal, for I often wondered how the flesh would taste, or the blood on my beak, I knew it was better to keep my talons clean and continue on. I was planning to make myself useful- do some dirty work for a few, carry a couple of messages around. Voila! Bad rep of breaking that pegasus' wing was gone. Who knows? Maybe I would continue the job.

Whatever way the wind blows, I mused, thinking of an ancient saying of my proud eagle family. I let my gleaming yellow eyes run over the thick woodlands below. The slightest of movements caught my eyes, even from my high soaring elevation. If it was possible, I felt my beak water at the sight of a snake slithering through the grass. I was a happy hunter, and one that wasn't picky. Heck, with a couple of friends from where I lived I ate some kangaroos! Now those were the days. Shrugging my shoulders and angling downwards, I swooped lower to the ground. Kangaroo meat really had been a finery; sweet, fresh, the thrill of hunting an animal that could fight back. I twitched my wings back, allowing my legs to curl forward, my talons hooking over the warm body. The landing was off, naturally I staggered. This time, I swear my beak watered. Flipping it up with one claw, I grabbed the little thing by the scaly tail, swallowing it whole. Don't worry, it was long dead. A shiver ran down my body, and I leaped awkwardly into the air, circling loftily about the forest. Definitely needed some practice on ground takeoffs.

It was a couple of hours later when I finally noticed something interesting- a couple of unicorns. And one cantering solidly towards them. Kehaar, my father, would have scowled as he saw me plunge toward them, nine-foot-four wingspread tucked in close to my body. When I reached right before the cantering horse, I would snap out my wings, and just wait and damn laugh to see their reactions.

Yeah, you could say that I was still obviously an idiot.

Messages In This Thread
Hear the drums of war approach - by Giselle - 08-29-2012, 05:03 PM
RE: Hear the drums of war approach - by Mauja - 09-07-2012, 03:58 PM
RE: Hear the drums of war approach - by Ria - 09-07-2012, 05:58 PM
RE: Hear the drums of war approach - by Giselle - 09-10-2012, 06:43 AM
RE: Hear the drums of war approach - by Mauja - 09-17-2012, 08:01 AM