the Rift

[OPEN] One Life [Open/ Kaj, Kahlua]

Thor the Gentle Heart Posts: 379
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 11 (TallSun) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sabine :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Linds
It was almost surreal, the way that Kaj now carried himself. I could recall the way I once held my head just a bit higher, my shoulders shifted forward, my neck in a perfect arch…. Kingship had a way of making you face so many things and with that came a change in demeanor. I couldn’t help but feel as though it suited the Golden Knight, my dear friend and brother, Kaj. In fact, even as he threw himself between Kahlua and myself, I couldn’t find it within my heart to be angered by such a natural reaction. How could I blame him for wearing responsibility like a second skin? I sure as hell hadn’t been able to. But the obvious walls between us seemed to sear through my chest like Hades’ arrow, halting just before it burned through my ribs and causing my heart to throb with an ache so deep I was unsure if I could bring myself to greet him. His stern gaze was enough to make me nod in apology as I slowly became aware of the knowledge of how weak I’d become. I’d lost so much- Tamira, Mirage… my daughter. I had failed so many and ultimately forgotten myself. It was time to wear the sackcloth and ashes; it was time to redeem myself. “I am sorry to you both, but I must say my peace.” I looked to Kahlua, knowing that she would need to hear this. I had seen so much in her already- the uncertainty had overwhelmed her only moments ago, but Kaj made her strong.

I could not find dysfunction in love and it was something I could see so clearly now. Perhaps my return had been too much for her to handle while settling into what it meant to wear the crown, but Kaj gave her reason to stand up and that alone made my lips turn ever so slightly. I had missed that look in her cerulean eyes... “I feel as though I need to address the obvious because my return could mean a plethora of things for you both, the first being that I come seeking leadership once again… in which I do not. However, your Queen did not welcome me with such open arms and I can only assume she thought I meant to threaten her position.” I could not help but glance towards the painted Lady with a look of severe sincerity. She had not witnessed the many months I’d spent in the wilds with only my own thoughts to keep me company. I’d obviously lost touch with common mannerisms. “I didn’t come back to condemn the only place I’ve ever called home, so I would hope that you could understand my surprise to find out that everything has changed… drastically.” I wasn’t sure how to react when Kaj leaned forward with his muzzle extended to my own; it was entirely new and yet entirely familiar all at once. I gazed at him for a moment until I felt it borderline offensive before I finally reached my slender snout towards him in friendly submission. His kindness felt so alien after so much time alone that it was strange to feel so elated by a simply touch.

I wasn’t sure what they saw in me now, though I doubted it was much. I’d not only lost my sanity to the wilds and the isolation, but I’d also lost much of my bodily mass. My height and stature were still decidedly recognizable, but my bones and my skin and my entire being felt old and worn far beyond my years. Would the whole of Helovia even recognize me for who I used to be? In some ways I hoped they would forget me and my rule over the Edge. I had failed. There was no point in remembering that- not now and not ever. Turning to Kaj with a heavy mist in my eyes that suggested my halfhearted daydreaming, I dropped my gaze in acceptance. These faces were too kind, too deserving of better…. Kaj and Kahlua were apt Leaders in my eyes. They had picked up the Edge when its past had decided to flee. They had connected the pieces and put what was broken back together again. “But, in spite of all that has happened for each and every one of us, I would like to once again call these walls my home. They have sheltered me from hurt and deceit and they have given me life and a family. Without this place, without these familiar faces… I am nothing.” My heart seemed to sing with the words and perhaps tears followed in their path, but I cared little for their admission of defeat. No matter how much I had to convince myself that I was not a coward for coming back or for needing those who made the World’s Edge home, I was just happy to here- to be back.

Of course I knew that I would have to face opposition in many different forms, but Kahlua had been the first to demonstrate the height of my failures. Her words sailed across the air, tracing a path to my heart with razor-like precision until she cut through the flesh into the guilt weighing heavy on my mind. But I was not so unfeeling to admit that it didn't cut deep. I respected the painted mare immensely and though I knew that I would have to face her anger towards my misdeeds eventually, I’d assumed that her arrows wouldn’t be so direct. My eyes rested on her for what felt like an eternity before she finally quieted, her stance transforming over the duration of her speech until she was finally standing upright. I glanced down to her feet where her once prattling companion finally rested silently and smiled. A beautiful creature it was… rivalling the mare herself in confidence and determination in what I would call a perfect match. Softly, I raised my eyes to Kahlua, hoping that she would find the fire within them that I had tended to even in the cold of seclusion. I had once served Mirage in such a fashion as I now planned to serve this painted Lady and her King; my heart, my resolve, and my strength were now hers. Though Kahlua had finally fit her feet into the shoes I’d questioned only moments ago, I had found a Leader in her that had been elusive to me until now.

My Queen-” When I finally lifted my face towards her, I noticed not only a softness in her eyes but also a fortitude that I had not witnessed before. She would be a fine Leader with practice and while I had hoped that my return was not what had rendered such, I was glad that I had been able to bring out a side of her that she had so long needed to see. “-you are indeed as capable as any and I would hope that you would accept me not only as part of your family but as your protector. Mirage would be proud…” Though the shadow mare’s name seemed to sting my tongue upon arrival, I could not be more swayed and distracted by any two individuals who had come together to keep one land united. It had taken much of myself to accept so much change, but how could I demean my family? After all, they had stepped up when I had chosen to back down.

With that, I reached out my muzzle purposefully to connect with the one mare who had been strong enough to follow in the footsetps of Mirage the Dragonheart.

Lines by Tamme! Paddeh Coloring

Messages In This Thread
One Life [Open/ Kaj, Kahlua] - by Thor - 09-18-2014, 12:37 AM
RE: One Life [Open/ Kaj, Kahlua] - by Kahlua - 09-19-2014, 05:28 PM
RE: One Life [Open/ Kaj, Kahlua] - by Thor - 09-19-2014, 07:53 PM
RE: One Life [Open/ Kaj, Kahlua] - by Kahlua - 09-19-2014, 08:21 PM
RE: One Life [Open/ Kaj, Kahlua] - by Thor - 09-19-2014, 09:24 PM
RE: One Life [Open/ Kaj, Kahlua] - by Kaj - 09-20-2014, 11:56 PM
RE: One Life [Open/ Kaj, Kahlua] - by Kahlua - 09-21-2014, 12:57 AM
RE: One Life [Open/ Kaj, Kahlua] - by Thor - 09-22-2014, 10:54 PM
RE: One Life [Open/ Kaj, Kahlua] - by Kaj - 09-26-2014, 06:40 PM
RE: One Life [Open/ Kaj, Kahlua] - by Kahlua - 09-28-2014, 07:11 PM