the Rift

[OPEN] Winter Roosting [Open!]

Thor the Gentle Heart Posts: 379
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 11 (TallSun) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sabine :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Linds

Thor</style>
</style>

For how long had I’d dazed off in confusion? How did Romani know this giant beast whose heft and power alone would be enough to overcome even me? There were so many pieces to this puzzle that I could not fit within the strict premises of my memory. These bits of time, sections of experience, and chunks of words and phrases… the held little bearing on my understanding. But on more pressing instincts, I could read that the golden Haflinger struggled with the same wealth of self-damnation that I’d encountered upon finding myself just on the other side of that very same wall from whence she’d come. The emotions that roiled and clawed behind her perfectly kempt composure were still evident in spite of her efforts to conceal them, but I had no intentions of bringing them to light because only chaos would ensue from such badgering. Embarrassment would color her cheeks and turn her eyes from me, at least now that she held an audience. I didn’t want to be that man though I wanted to reassure her and tell her that I understood those feelings, that burning shame…

However, no matter the pain painting her voice in strain and question, Romani’s acceptance to return to the Edge seemed to lift a weight from my thick shoulders. I released a soft sigh that I didn’t know I’d been holding and a small smile fought its way to my tender lips. I did not want to frighten her with an abundance of cheer and celebration and instead lowered my eyes to her in an urging fashion so that she might note my happiness in her own time. Quietly, I listened as she addressed the other giant with that soft voice of hers which made me laugh silently to myself after picturing her in the throes of battle. I knew she possessed great strength and skill in war, but her quiet nature could’ve fooled me. She was truly a compassionate creature, more willing to please than to be pleased and I appreciated that about the golden maiden.

As conversation drifted to the other stallion, he turned a pair of curious amber eyes to me before introducing himself properly. However, somewhere deep within the recesses of my mind, I grew still upon hearing that name uttered within the Edge. Archibald the Dauntless … I’d only heard that title in passing, never as formally as I’d heard it here, but shock and intrigue seemed to cause my deep brown eyes to widen in wonderment. What exactly was he doing here in the World’s Edge? As if answering my question without having the pleasure of hearing it and with the ambiguity of a midnight shadow, Archibald continued about his business in recruiting the golden Romani for his army… which left me with one conclusion- one that chilled me and excited me twofold. Clearly he was a Captain within the Edge, yet how we had come to possess one of Helovia’s most influential war chiefs was beyond me.

He continued flawlessly, looking to me only once to confirm my amazement which made him appear more elusive and commanding as a result. He knew of his power and he knew that it was renowned and I certainly wasn’t going to be the one to question him or how he’d come to be here. We were lucky enough to be graced with such talent, though I envied it. But that wasn’t all I envied about this warlord. I didn’t have much time to feel or react to his need to lay a comforting muzzle against Romani’s strong neck before, but now a swell of emotion seemed to coat my throat with apprehension. I’d never felt for Romani the way I’d once felt for Tamira, but I assumed it was the sense of losing power that had made jealousy rage through my chest. Slowly, I swallowed the feeling before turning to find that Archibald had turned away to retreat back into the dense forest.

Without warning or thought for that matter, I called after him. “I am glad to have made your acquaintance Archibald… the Dauntless.” No trace of discomfort lingered within the notes but I wanted to ensure that at some point I would once again find myself face to face with such a commanding force. He had piqued my interest after all, no shame in admitting that right? Slowly, I returned my astounded gaze to Romani, hopeful that she would not notice the awe that made me slightly starry-eyed, or at least be kind enough not to mention it. “I’m so glad you’re home Romani. We should get you settled in…” Upon speaking the words I’d intended to return her to the warmth of our home but the soft crackling of trampled, dead foliage alerted me to the hovering tree line. But the creature that had removed himself from their depths left me just a speechless as meeting Archibald had… because I hadn’t seen Aaron in what felt like years.

His quiet voice eased slowly between us and I smiled warmly to the young stallion. A deep, red hellhound followed close at his heels and though I’d never seen one up close, I was suddenly captivated by its presence. I tried momentarily to rip my attentions from Aaron’s companion before successfully doing as much, after which I felt the need to approach him with my muzzle extended so that he might greet me. I’d missed the youngster greatly among other members of my family, but he had been one of the few that’d I’d met within my first few days in the Edge. “Aaron… I am so glad to be back. It’s been too long young friend!

What a homecoming for Romani… I hoped that she was ready for this kind of stardom. I knew it would die down in time, as all things did, but I knew that she already carried the world on her shoulders.

background pattern by Patrick Hoesly @ flickr.com / Table by Whit

Lines by Tamme! Paddeh Coloring

Messages In This Thread
Winter Roosting [Open!] - by Romani - 10-02-2014, 03:34 PM
RE: Winter Roosting [Open!] - by Thor - 10-03-2014, 12:58 PM
RE: Winter Roosting [Open!] - by Romani - 10-05-2014, 10:27 AM
RE: Winter Roosting [Open!] - by Archibald - 10-05-2014, 03:14 PM
RE: Winter Roosting [Open!] - by Thor - 10-05-2014, 10:14 PM
RE: Winter Roosting [Open!] - by Romani - 10-11-2014, 02:42 PM
RE: Winter Roosting [Open!] - by Archibald - 10-18-2014, 07:04 PM
RE: Winter Roosting [Open!] - by Aaron - 10-19-2014, 03:12 AM
RE: Winter Roosting [Open!] - by Thor - 10-20-2014, 12:01 AM