the Rift

Not So Long A Winter

Thor the Gentle Heart Posts: 379
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 11 (TallSun) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sabine :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Linds

Thor the Gentle Heart

I’d seen such an expression before: frightened, unsure, or maybe even mortified. But it didn’t faze me as much anymore, even when my eyes lit on Cetan to find the terror residing deep within. My size was something to marvel, not that I held a candle to Archibald the Dauntless; he was surely more intimidating than I for he was a warlord after all… I used to question why I never saw him in the Threshold and I suppose now I knew why. That look of fear that I saw wading within those icy blue eyes was enough to make my stomach turn. I didn’t think myself a ferocious beast by any means and that anyone would feel that way toward me meant that they couldn’t have been very worldly. It takes travelling and discovering to become at home with the strange sights in life these days and it was clear that this lad still had a little learning to do; never mind the fact that I came here to teach him of his options… With a little more hesitance than before, I dipped my face low so that he might see that I came in peace, but of course the action held serious consequences for me.

My shoulders seared with white hot pain as my neck extended away from the sensitive flesh of my spoiled appendages. I could not bring them up or away from my sides anymore and they hung lifelessly there until I once again straightened back into position. I tried desperately to hide the agony that flourished through my body but I couldn’t deny the wincing discomfort that reached for my eyes. “It is indeed a pleasure to meet you Cetan.” I watched cautiously as the stud took another moment to absorb me in his mind the way a child would, however, I couldn’t help but smile at his efforts to appear at ease when it was clear that he certainly wasn’t. I didn’t try to soothe him with my words and instead remained motionless before him, a statue of power and grace.

After what felt like an eternity, Cetan finally found his voice and vacated the silence that previously paid homage to our conversation. He was a meager fellow, but clearly intelligent as far as I could see. He thought through most of his answers and considered the ramifications of every word. I enjoyed that about him and when he attempted to test my resolve, I made sure to set him straight on what kind of creature I truly was. “I don’t believe you need help, but a little direction never hurt anyone. You’ve come to the claiming grounds and I have come to claim you, should you find my offer up to your standards.” I paused to look at him directly, my eyes never faltering in their certainty. “There are four herds, of which I mentioned before- the World’s Edge where I call home, the Dragon’s Throat, the Hidden Falls, and the Aurora Basin. Each land is made up of a different set of personalities, but I’m here to educate you on the Edge, thus I represent them fully. We can provide you shelter, a family, and a shot at equality. I don’t demean any of the other herds so if there’s one that interests you more, I’d be glad to answer any questions you have.

I paused to let the information sink in. There was a lot to be considered here and I knew that he would take the time he needed to make a decision before rushing headlong into something he was unsure of. I shuffled to rest back onto my rear quarters so that the pressure of standing did not contribute to the pain shooting through my back. I spent most days in this way, trying to evade the symptoms of a mysterious illness that I’d contracted a little over a week ago. My devout love for my home always drove me past the threshold of pain or anger or humiliation. The love of my family kept me alive when I felt like dying… surely this stallion would understand the kind of life the Edge would inspire.

Go on, save yourself

Lines by Tamme! Paddeh Coloring

Messages In This Thread
Not So Long A Winter - by Cetan - 11-09-2014, 12:08 PM
RE: Not So Long A Winter - by Thor - 11-09-2014, 02:49 PM
RE: Not So Long A Winter - by Cetan - 11-09-2014, 04:00 PM
RE: Not So Long A Winter - by Thor - 11-09-2014, 07:02 PM
RE: Not So Long A Winter - by Torleik - 11-09-2014, 07:13 PM
RE: Not So Long A Winter - by Cetan - 11-09-2014, 09:18 PM
RE: Not So Long A Winter - by Thor - 11-11-2014, 12:29 AM
RE: Not So Long A Winter - by Cetan - 11-12-2014, 05:42 PM