the Rift

[PRIVATE] Isolate and Medicate

Torleik the Bloodskald Posts: 354
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 11 HP: 66.5 | Buff: SWIFT
Irelyn :: Plain Griffin :: Molten Dagger RedGod
Torleik
I embrace the coming draw, the erase of every wall

He could not imagine Irelyn going off too far on her own, having her own adventures, getting into her own problems and troubles. She was still a young thing, still attached to him, still wishing to be close enough to him at all times that if something went wrong, he could save her. The thought that one day that would change hurt his heart; one day, she would not need him anymore, and the sadness that weighted his heart was hard to swallow.

Ophelia's shared story did not make the point she had hoped for, at least not to him, and his response earned him a tight expression and ears drawn back towards her crown - not to mention her narrowed gaze that he did not fail to catch. Torleik frowned, pushing breath out of his nostrils. What was it she was trying to tell him, then? Her words were brief and seemingly clear: Stop whining and fix it. Put yourself in a position to be better. Give up what you care about so that you do better by others. Where was the compassion in that? Where did her sharing a story about such a large sacrifice she'd made become a way to commiserate with him? He frowned, irritated she did not seem to understand this at all, but mostly somewhat wounded. Surely she understood struggle? She had just told him a story of sacrifice - and sacrifice was a struggle in itself.

Why, then, could she not show compassion for it?

"You cannot simply tell me to fix my problems, Ophelia," Torleik returned, his voice quiet and even, soft almost. There was no reason to fight. He did not want to argue. "I, in fact, cannot always ensure I am in a place that helps my control. All I can do is try to remove those things which make my control tenuous. Or try to remain calm in those situations in which I cannot get away." He sighed, knowing she did not understand why he'd spoken about giving her up. "No, you didn't. But those who mean the most to us affect us the most - and they are often the ones who bring us the greatest imbalance just as much as they bring us our greatest strength. Yet you tell me to purge those things that damage my control...do you see, now?"

Would she make him state it so plainly so soon?

"I know; but would you ask me to sacrifice someone I cared about for another? To irrevocably damage one relationship for one that will always be, and therefore can always be worked on? Sometimes, to makes things better, it requires taking, rather than giving." He took another deep, slow breath. "Clearly you love Tinek deeply - I cannot imagine giving up your leadership for your bond with him. That decision must have been immensely difficult, and I am certain it was not made lightly." The Bloodskald gave a small smile, trying to reassure he he was not angry or attempting to verbally spar. "If it is any consolation, I believe you made the right choice. I hope that one day my bond with Irelyn will be as strong as yours is with Tinek. And if I must walk away from something to make that so, I will. But I will not walk away from someone."

Perhaps she didn't understand because she couldn't. Perhaps she didn't understand because she was not considering people meant more to him than things, or positions, or power. He was not an ambitious man like others, not apt to climb political ladders, crest social hills, set himself on a throne of others' backs that he might step on them every time he observed his power. And nor did he assume was she - but Ophelia played the game far more than he, and understood the art of putting someone aside far more than he ever could.

This was not so when the man you fought next to could be the last one you saw before going to Valhallr, and you should be honored to die next to a brother you trusted regardless of his blood-relation to you.

--------------------------------------

Though he could be exceptionally brooding, at heart, Torleik was a happier creature - so he tried to bring some of that mischievous happiness to Ophelia by splashing her. This, of course, turned into something more and he found himself in a small battle to see who would win the water wars.

And, it seemed, win control of his instinctively male, lustful nature.

A laugh of triumph erupted from deep within his chest when he watched Ophelia splash into the water - he had won! - but the smug joy of his victory was quickly doused by the jerky way the mare yanked herself from the waters and back into solid land, her chest heaving with rough breaths. Brows furrowed, face showing clear concern, Torleik quickly came alongside her and nosed her neck softly to reassure her everything was fine. He had never seen her wet before and it was...like seeing a different woman. It hadn't occurred to him that the skin beneath her pelt was dark, so to find her suddenly a blue-ish hue was fascinating and alluring.

Her beautiful voice asked him, haltingly, if the water was deep, saying she could not see through it. The Bloodskald could not recall a time in which he had wanted to embrace and comfort anyone more than he wished to now, being confronted here with Ophelia's fear. She'd admitted to him she had no innate fear of things she should, and to find her unnerved by something so simple as a hot spring was like putting his heart out to be trampled on. Gently, he again nosed her neck and silently descended into the water to the full depth, the waters lapping just above his chest, tickling at his neck if he decided to slouch. "This is the deepest they go," he assured her. "And yes, I did. My people and I lived on the coast, by the sea; water is...comforting to me."

He smiled warmly at her. "Join me," the Bloodskald urged. "You will be fine. I promise." He would keep her safe and show her that fear was nothing in the face of...of what? Care? Compassion?

'Is love. You love.'

Torleik glanced at Irelyn, who sat there on the edge of the spring, snatching at bubbles that popped and swirled on the surface of the hot water. Her owlish eyes met his with a wisdom that only the young held.

'You have feel when you say you love me. So, is love. Same feel.' Her offer was a sealing truth, and Torleik frowned a little, wondering at his heart's foolish nature. Of course he knew this; he'd admitted it to himself before, but this time it...it just seemed so...dangerous. He wasn't sure she could love him in return, and that fear was not one overcome by love.

@[Ophelia]

"talk talk talk"

Credits: Image by Schwartze @ DA
[Image: 531c0b471919e]

No man is an island.
Pixel by: Tamme :D

Please tag me in all posts! Thank you!

Messages In This Thread
Isolate and Medicate - by Torleik - 11-26-2014, 06:51 PM
RE: Isolate and Medicate - by Ophelia - 11-26-2014, 07:17 PM
RE: Isolate and Medicate - by Torleik - 11-26-2014, 09:27 PM
RE: Isolate and Medicate - by Ophelia - 11-26-2014, 11:13 PM