the Rift

Frustration [Smoke]

Smoke the Wild Rose Posts: 128
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 hh :: 10 Buff: SWIFT
Zaffre :: Common Blue Dragon :: Fire Breath Kachie
However brief, his moment of irritation did not go unnoticed. One white-edged ear tilted slightly outward at the observation as she contemplated how very different she and he were in their approach toward this. He seemed to lack a grasp of tact, which made sense considering his preference for military leadership over diplomatic.

Politely she listened to him, hiding her emotions behind a still facade. Not even the twitch of an ear or the sway of her tail gave away what lay beneath. A solemn sadness, quiet flutters of amusement, and a growing sense of determination.

"You never asked me if I was content in my position, Paladin. Never thought to ask what I would rather do, given the opportunity. Military things do not suit me, but I stood as warrior lead because Gossamer asked. And because I was better suited to it than Indy or her." Her voice was quiet as she studied him. "Nor did I appreciate being placed in a position where I could so easily be replaced, and a target painted on my side by you. There is no love lost between myself and Archibald, and he seems the ambitious sort." A small, wry smile worked her features then. The first expression she'd offered since he'd begun speaking. "Given the opportunity, I would have gladly stepped down entirely, to serve as diplomat and helper to Poppy. But you never asked, merely presumed I would rather stay in the line of work I had before."

Then she gave a small sigh as the conversation inevitably led to Ricochet. A source of more trouble she'd never found, but she had responsibilities toward him beyond bringing him to the Foothills. "Ricochet has been forever brash and foolish, but he is young yet. He is fragile still, having lost sire and sister to the shades. The latter without knowing it. But he seems to accept Kimber's influence, and she is my daughter as much as Gunslinger's." So much meaning to be found in that, she thought. "He is racist, I'll admit, but knew that the Foothills was a mixed race herd before coming here. And agreed to behave." It was the simple, honest truth, so far as she saw it.

After a moment she decided to approach the subject of Soleil. "All three of my children have had different fathers." She admitted quietly, without any hint of shame. "I cannot claim any influence on Ricochet's beliefs growing up, for he was Gunslinger's to raise. While I loved the Unbroken, I never agreed with him entirely. So I am relatively unsurprised that Ricochet has strong beliefs on more than just race. Perhaps you should ask him why he thinks as he does, instead of declaring his thoughts wrong. I am just as aware of Soleil's relations with Terrador, and his relations with half the young mares he encountered, or so it seemed." She paused, deliberating. "It is better to understand than to argue, and to find information in sources beyond what you'd think to find it in. Solstice is of an age with Soleil, and both grew up in Isilme, perhaps she knows something of why Soleil's reputation is not as you'd wish it to be. Or perhaps not. I cannot stop Ricochet's thoughts on Soleil no more than I can stop him being wary of me. I think it is only because of Kimber that he tolerates me." After he had been burned by Zaffre... she almost didn't blame the dunskin of being cautious.

What followed surprised her somewhat, and she blinked at Paladin. Allow the herd to nominate new herd leaders by vote? It was a new concept, and she mulled it over as he suggested she volunteer. "Perhaps," she murmured quietly. "If they wish me to be such, I will not decline in something so many would want." Quietly she shook her head, body relaxing slowly. "I still do not understand why you did not speak to me or to Gossamer, or both, about your concerns. Not everything has to be resolved by war and bloodshed, and many hurts could have been avoided." Her gaze drifted to his burns and then away, as it occurred to her that she'd argued something quiet similar to Gunslinger in the past. But he had been unwilling to listen and consider a path not lined by conquest. Mildly she wondered how different the Valiant was from the Unbroken, or if Paladin would truly have more in common with Ricochet than he realized.

Messages In This Thread
Frustration [Smoke] - by Paladin - 09-05-2012, 05:25 PM
RE: Frustration [Smoke] - by Smoke - 09-05-2012, 09:45 PM
RE: Frustration [Smoke] - by Paladin - 09-14-2012, 11:11 PM
RE: Frustration [Smoke] - by Smoke - 09-15-2012, 05:25 PM
RE: Frustration [Smoke] - by Paladin - 09-15-2012, 10:34 PM
RE: Frustration [Smoke] - by Smoke - 10-05-2012, 07:32 PM