the Rift

THE SUN ALSO RISES

liriel Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

l i r i e l ;

Inevitably, the first thing I notice about this new forest is the climate. Currently alive with young growth, this forest is vastly different from the tropics I was born into and yet I find myself not minding that the air is both cooler and drier nor do I mind the sharp smell of pine tickling my nose. Songbirds flutter between the branches undisturbed as I move through the brush in wide-eyed exploration. I could be dismal – and a sliver of me is – but my soul can’t resist the temptation of a whole new world spreading out before me. So I’m drawn deeper into the trees, every leaf and shrub begging for my undying attention. In my tender youth I can bounce back from anything and keep myself occupied by everything. Besides, my father promised to find me, and his promises are sacred – why should I be grieving the distance between us?

I spread across the small patch of forest I’ve landed in, examining everything in close detail. I’m instantly in love with the smell of the dew-sodden foliage and rich earth, the thousand bird songs harmonizing into a single orchestra, and the seemingly endless ocean of green that spreads out on every side of me. I’d been so relieved to see land the night before that I hadn’t paid much attention to my surroundings when I just about crash-landed into them. I’d been flying straight across mile after mile of unforgiving sea for what had felt like an eternity. When the trees broke the monotonous blue, I’d nearly wept from relief and my quivering wings had just about given out before my hooves touched the sweet earth. I’d collapsed into a heap on the mossy forest floor and sleep had claimed me in minutes. I’d dreamed of Castres and my father and of the urgency in which he’d sent me away. I dreamed of our beautiful Queen being disposed of, and looters ravaging the peninsula for all it was worth. In my sleep my heart had cried but when I woke up I stored the thoughts away and let the excitement of exploration overcome me. It was the same coping tactic I’d used since the attack on my homeland. I imagine it will be the same one I use until the memories fade into oblivion, if they ever do.

The cloud of dark thoughts is banished by a patch of bright purple flowers unfurling in the morning light at the base of a vine-covered tree. With my interest piqued I can do nothing but wander toward them, admiring the delicate petals still glistening with dew droplets. I lean in to smell them, greeted by an enticingly sweet aroma. I’m tempted to pick one and carry it with me on my journey, but the idea of disturbing the innocent little plants deters me. I straighten and turn away, suddenly aware of the fatigue in my muscles. I’ve never flown as hard or for as long as I did when I fled Castres and my body is protesting further action and begging for rest. I scowl suddenly – a rare expression to grace my features. I want to see the rest of what this new world has to offer but my body warns me not to push it, and so I drop gracefully back to the earth, curling close to my patch of amethyst flowers. Boredom soon overtakes me.

------------------

a brief note: this is open to anyone

Messages In This Thread
THE SUN ALSO RISES - by liriel - 12-17-2014, 05:20 PM
RE: THE SUN ALSO RISES - by Elsa - 12-17-2014, 05:58 PM
RE: THE SUN ALSO RISES - by Sikeax - 12-17-2014, 06:39 PM
RE: THE SUN ALSO RISES - by liriel - 12-17-2014, 08:35 PM
RE: THE SUN ALSO RISES - by Elsa - 12-17-2014, 09:03 PM
RE: THE SUN ALSO RISES - by Sikeax - 12-19-2014, 12:06 PM
RE: THE SUN ALSO RISES - by liriel - 12-19-2014, 03:05 PM
RE: THE SUN ALSO RISES - by Elsa - 12-20-2014, 09:06 AM
RE: THE SUN ALSO RISES - by Sikeax - 12-25-2014, 03:27 AM