the Rift

THE SUN ALSO RISES

liriel Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

l i r i e l ;

I’ve never been a fearful girl. Even after the invasion of my homeland I can’t help but find myself all too relaxed. I imagine my father, shaking his head in that woeful way of his. ‘You’ve got to be vigilant’ he’d say, but vigilance is hard for a girl whose mind never rests and whose focus is wholly consumed by a thousand things at once. Perhaps that’s why I don’t startle when the woman approaches me. She makes no effort to be stealthy and I make no effort to put myself in a defensible position. I watch her approach, intrigued by the way the sunlight shimmers off her body. She’s winter personified, a beautiful creature made of frost and ice. Her swollen sides don’t escape my notice and for a brief moment I wonder how soon it will be until her child arrives. Pregnancy astounds me because it is something I know so little of. Raised by a single father whose work rarely took us to the hospital or the nursery, I’d never been exposed to that aspect of life. Bringing my gaze back up to the mare’s face, I can’t tell if the child makes her excited or nervous or something else.

When she draws to a stop I rise from the moss. My muscles groan in protest but I find them suddenly easy to ignore. The woman before me represents a whole new world waiting to be explored and for the first time I notice the ice bird that’s accompanying her. He’s the most magnificent thing I’ve ever laid eyes on and suddenly I want to know everything about him, about what he is and how she came to know him. The stranger greets me with a smile and that simple gesture fills me with hope and I’m immediately smiling back, lit up like the ray of sun my dad always told me I was. ‘I wouldn’t take refuge here if I were you.’ I glance around, a furrow appearing between my eyes. The forest seemed peaceful enough and it had kept me safe through the night but I was curious as always to know what this mare knew. “Oh. I just got here. Well, I got here last night but I was so tired that I fell asleep right away. I don’t even really know where here is. Is it not safe?” Those gemstone eyes of mine go wide with wonder and I’m silently begging her to fill in the gaps because I simply must know.

Instead, she fills in another gap and her fantastic arctic bird – Edgar – ventures close. I lean down to investigate him, so completely consumed by his extravagance that I fail to notice the next mare until she’s settled in the sphere of our growing group. She looks young – younger than me – and in the place of wings she instead boasts a pale blue horn. “I’m a bit overwhelmed to be honest.” This world is so vibrant and teeming with things to be experienced that I suddenly feel very small. A brief pang of longing for Castres’s familiar shores and jungles tightens my chest but I will it away. A part of me deep in my bones knows I’ll never see the place of my birth again but I remind myself that soon this place will become just as familiar, just as much home. I just have to be willing to give it time. And so I turn my warm smile on both the mare with their beautiful features and lovely names and all their enviable knowledge of this exotic place. “I’m Liriel.”

------------------

a brief note: tagging is quite helpful, yes I would not mind if you tagged me ^^

@[Elsa] @[Sikeax]

Messages In This Thread
THE SUN ALSO RISES - by liriel - 12-17-2014, 05:20 PM
RE: THE SUN ALSO RISES - by Elsa - 12-17-2014, 05:58 PM
RE: THE SUN ALSO RISES - by Sikeax - 12-17-2014, 06:39 PM
RE: THE SUN ALSO RISES - by liriel - 12-17-2014, 08:35 PM
RE: THE SUN ALSO RISES - by Elsa - 12-17-2014, 09:03 PM
RE: THE SUN ALSO RISES - by Sikeax - 12-19-2014, 12:06 PM
RE: THE SUN ALSO RISES - by liriel - 12-19-2014, 03:05 PM
RE: THE SUN ALSO RISES - by Elsa - 12-20-2014, 09:06 AM
RE: THE SUN ALSO RISES - by Sikeax - 12-25-2014, 03:27 AM
RE: THE SUN ALSO RISES - by liriel - 12-25-2014, 11:48 AM