the Rift

with whispers in my ear -open-

Duke Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

The Duke

& malakin

With no destination in mind and sense of direction, my large feet carried me through the shrubbery and brush of this land. With the sun setting just over the horizon, it cast my shadow opposite of my form as if I had a companion walking alongside me. A darker, larger, more dangerous companion, which had reminded me of the beast that lurked within the walls of my mind and cast a shadow on my mood. Had Malakin been a beast of flesh and blood and not one that existed within myself, I would have tore him limb from limb and taught him a lesson he long deserved. Alas, it would not be so and I was cursed to live with a beast who ruined my life, killed my family and left me in a state less than appealing to others as well as even to myself. I paused in midstride when my downcast gaze found a puddle of standing water just below me that had allowed a brief reflection of myself. My duo colored orbs studied the reflection, mentally picturing Malakin staring back with his features twisted in a sardonic smile that had me in a rage. How dare he, I thought to myself, how dare he. How dare he take from me the only family I had. How dare he take from me the life I was born to live. His actions forced me to pay the consequences of living as an outsider for the rest of my life without any sympathy from the raging beast beating at my subconscious. I didn't sleep, I didn't rest. I moved constantly and stayed hidden in the shadows of the forests and trees so that I might protect others from the demon within me, and protect myself from getting close to them.

I scowled down at the reflection and mumbled something incoherent to all else but my own ears and stamped my massive hoof into the puddle, crushing the reflection and causing the water to spray in all directions while muddying my alabaster leg. Paying no mind to the mud now plastered against my leg, I kept on in my journey to nowhere in particular. What would this new world have to offer? Was I really ready to mingle with society? My lonely mind said yes, that I was indeed ready to be apart of this world once more. But the part of me, the dangerous part named Malakin, still lurked beneath the surface and I could hear his maniacal laughter ebbing through the walls I had forged so intently in hopes of keeping him out and under control. There were still times when I lost time, hours, days would disappear and I wouldn't know what had happened. I could only fear waking up with blood staining my silver and ivory pelt from the victims who fell prey to my darker, more sadistic side. Why did the gods curse me? I wondered in anger. Why would they bestow this... abomination upon my shoulders if they knew I couldn't control him? But alas, I had no answers. I could curse and swear the gods for their unjust and criminal acts against my person as well as those who had fallen victim to Malakin and lost their lives because of it. I could blame them for the inability to control my body instead of taking the responsibility myself but common sense gripped my mind and shook me. It was my fault for being unable to control my darker half. It was my fault I let him take over and kill my family. It was something I would just have to live with.

A sigh left my duo colored muzzle, causing the crisp air around me to billow in steam from my hot breath. The snow was all but disappearing as the days grew warmer. I would miss the winter months as they were my favorite from the time that I was just a colt and needed no excuse to frolic. With the snow melting and giving way to new life that blossomed beneath the icy blanket. I could hear the birds in the clearing skies and the grounded wildlife that was emerging from their winter's sleep. With life returning to the world once more, it was a sign of hope, of new beginnings and I could only have one to wish for the other. Maybe, just maybe, this was my chance to start anew and build a life for myself.

talk talk talk

image credits

Messages In This Thread
with whispers in my ear -open- - by Duke - 12-29-2014, 04:05 PM
RE: with whispers in my ear -open- - by Rei - 12-29-2014, 07:34 PM
RE: with whispers in my ear -open- - by Rasta - 12-29-2014, 08:00 PM
RE: with whispers in my ear -open- - by Ayleid - 12-29-2014, 08:57 PM
RE: with whispers in my ear -open- - by Duke - 12-30-2014, 02:53 PM
RE: with whispers in my ear -open- - by Rei - 01-02-2015, 09:53 PM
RE: with whispers in my ear -open- - by Rasta - 01-03-2015, 01:26 AM
RE: with whispers in my ear -open- - by Duke - 01-25-2015, 10:49 PM