the Rift

Burning Bridges

Menagerie Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

I had done it. I had finally stepped forth into this world. Perhaps I had truly gotten tired of all the hatred I had faced in my home land. Perhaps I had just wanted to see something new. For whatever reason, I had found myself stepping across the boundaries of Helovia, stepping inside, going forth. The barrier seemed to pull me in, and when I arrived on the other side, it was as if nothing had changed. I didn't quite expect it to, but somehow I had felt that I should feel... somewhat different. I wanted it to feel the like the fresh start I was looking for. But how could I really? I snorted softly, pelt twitching as the weather changed around me. It seemed to warm simply by being there, from stepping from one side to the other. I paused, my one audit swiveling, attempting to catch any sound on the light breeze.

The sun warmed my skin as I stepped farther into the strange territory. I needed to be just as cautious as I had always been. Even though I had spent perhaps three weeks, maybe a full month, pacing the outside of this new realm before I finally dared to venture forth. My one good eye swept the ground before me, my senses balancing out before me, hearing well on one side, seeing clearly with the other. I closed my pallid eye, the washed-out colours fading from sight. I wasn't entirely blind on my right side, but enough that it did me no good to have the pink orb open all the time. The sun still hurt, the heat making it feel as if the socket around the sphere was bubbling.

I shook my head, trying to clear my thoughts of those horrible memories. No. This was a place to start fresh, that was my goal here. My daggers pressed carefully into the ground as my tangle of black tresses fell before my vision. I contemplated if I should turn back. After all, with my appearance, I most likely would not be welcomed by whoever saw me first. Or perhaps I would get lucky and I would get to explore this new area discretely for a time, slipping in through the darkness so as not to startle anyone who might come across my visage. I gave a raspy chuckle, a sound I had slowly grown accustom to over the last few years. I used to sound like a tinkling bell, and now I sounded like a crow gasping for air. Perhaps the darkness would just make my burns seem all the more sinister. Perhaps light would make me seem less like the threat that I seemed to come across as to most creatures.

I took a deep, shaking breath, trying to acquaint myself with my surroundings. It seemed peaceful, and for some reason, that frightened me. It had been such a long time since I had experienced such a thing, and I had to wonder if perhaps instead of crossing over to the new land, I had been murdered in my previous sleep. I wasn't sure which would be most appealing to me. In any case, I had a new beginning to explore, despite my skittish nature. I walked carefully through the trees, attempting to find some cool shade to hide behind. My seal bay coat was beginning to get uncomfortably warm. I couldn't stand the heat of the day much any more since my incident. The summer months were damn near unbearable these days. I snorted softly, my audit flicking as it tried to determine if there was anyone near by who would interrupt me. My muscles tensed, coiled and ready to run should someone surprise me. I doubted that it would happen, though.

I came upon a willow tree, weeping at the sight of me. It seemed to fit well. I carefully stepped into the branches and found solace among the draping leaves that allowed the cool air to surround my being. I took a deep breath again, letting calm attempt to come over me. I should try not to be so afraid of this place. I had such high hopes, that perhaps this Helovia would not be like my home, that I would find someone, anyone, who would accept me as I was now. I held a deep ache in my bodice. I was a lonely, and those who had dared to look upon me had all run in fear, assuming that what had been done to me would be done to them as well, at my own hand. They assumed I was a creature of malevolent nature.

I gave a soft sigh, dipping my tiara to the grass below, nipping at a few strands. That was not so. I was as gentle a soul as anyone could ever have been. I did not deserve the horrible things that had happened to me. I still did not understand why, but I had been far gone from trying to question or gain knowledge or understanding as to any of it. I had given up long ago on clarity for the situation. I simply accepted myself. There were still days when my visage made me want to curl and die in a cave, and they were many, compared to the days when I felt free and beautiful. It had been so long since I had felt beautiful. It had been so long since I had even heard my own voice. I didn't recognize what it was now. Some rasping whisper; that was not who I was. I was a young spirit, free, loving... Or I was. That Minnie was long gone now. I didn't know who she had been replaced with.

I chewed thoughtfully on the grass before me. It tasted as sweet as I could ever imagine it. Perhaps it was simply because it was new to me, perhaps it was because of the willow branches that protected me, perhaps it was that for once I was not seeing myself graze. For whatever reason, the blades were a treasure to me. I almost forgot that I was a horrid beast. I began to relax, no longer on high alert for any sort of creature that might want to find me in my vulnerable state. I felt much safer in these willow branches than I had been since I had been left with my scars. I felt no fear. I felt peace course through me. Perhaps Helovia was the beginning that I was looking for after all.

---
WC :: 1092
Muse :: Fabulous

Code generated by Tintedglass Layout Generator

Messages In This Thread
Burning Bridges - by Menagerie - 01-08-2015, 05:20 PM
RE: Burning Bridges - by Oxy - 01-09-2015, 08:40 PM
RE: Burning Bridges - by Menagerie - 01-09-2015, 09:02 PM
RE: Burning Bridges - by Africa - 01-09-2015, 09:24 PM
RE: Burning Bridges - by Oxy - 01-09-2015, 09:49 PM
RE: Burning Bridges - by Menagerie - 01-09-2015, 10:54 PM
RE: Burning Bridges - by Africa - 01-10-2015, 12:12 AM