the Rift

Burning Bridges

Menagerie Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

It was beautiful, this peace. So wonderful, so well deserved. And then it shattered, like lightning passing through the void of darkness, illuminating everything. It all came crashing down. Hey! The voice was thick and oily, I could feel it sliding through my audit. Clearly whatever beast was approaching was not... normal. Perhaps that made them like me, but I didn't want to chance it. I straightened up to my full height, barely clearing 15 hands, trying to make myself seem full of muscle. I was not one to fight, but I would if I absolutely had to. My Irish Draught blood coursed through me, my heart pounding as I pressed against the base of the willow tree and waited.

I wasn't prepared for what was coming, and I knew that very well. I didn't know what I expected at all, a gigantic beast, I suppose, with the way the thrashing and romping was coming to my ear. I didn't want some massive beast to eat me alive. Perhaps this Helovia was not the heaven that I had made it out to be moments ago. Perhaps I had been swallowed whole by a complete and fiery hell. It then opened the curtain of safety and let the light shine through.

I quickly shut my pale orb, giving a hoarse whiny as the sunlight began to burn the surface of my scar. It was like it was being festered all over again, as if the two years that had passed had not healed it at all. I tossed my cranium, black tresses flicking around as I tried to protect myself from the beast. I could not see him, but I could hear him, clear as day. He... demanded I stop.

Stop what? Stop being the creature that I was? I stepped back and hit the base of the willow tree, giving a cry again, this time my voice raising up in as loud a screech I could. "I'm sorry! I'm sorry, I didn't mean to!" Apologizing? For what? I was apologizing for existing, for daring to be at peace in a place that I was unfamiliar with. I was apologizing for making this mistake, for stumbling upon whatever beast had decided to find me. My voice scared me, causing my pelt to ripple with fear. It sounded like a dying crone, one that was suffocating under ash and fire.

Fire. Fire. FIRE. The memories washed over me and I could handle it no longer. My one good eye began to water with tears I tossed my cranium, throwing apologies at the beast before me. Maybe he would just kill me and that would be enough. Perhaps this all could just end and that would be all of it. The heat of the sun made my skin want to boil. I screamed again, stepping farther back. "Shut it, gods, please make it stop!" I was at the mercy of this beast. It was between me and the safety of the shade, and he was ruining it.

Anger welled up in me, no longer feeling fear of the beast before me, but of the sun that he brought with him. I stamped a dagger against the ground in protest, begging him again to shut the willow curtain and give me peace.

----
Notes:: No worries! Makes for a fun read. Minnie is pretty much in a panic so she can't decide which way to feel right now, so sorry if it feels a little all over the place.

EDIT:: The burning sensation is psychosomatic, so it's not actually burning. The trauma from her previous experience causes her to believe that the sunlight is more painful than should be to her scar, so it's all in her head. Sorry if that wasn't entirely clear. ^.^;

Code generated by Tintedglass Layout Generator

Messages In This Thread
Burning Bridges - by Menagerie - 01-08-2015, 05:20 PM
RE: Burning Bridges - by Oxy - 01-09-2015, 08:40 PM
RE: Burning Bridges - by Menagerie - 01-09-2015, 09:02 PM
RE: Burning Bridges - by Africa - 01-09-2015, 09:24 PM
RE: Burning Bridges - by Oxy - 01-09-2015, 09:49 PM
RE: Burning Bridges - by Menagerie - 01-09-2015, 10:54 PM
RE: Burning Bridges - by Africa - 01-10-2015, 12:12 AM
RE: Burning Bridges - by Oxy - 01-10-2015, 09:05 PM
RE: Burning Bridges - by Menagerie - 01-10-2015, 09:46 PM
RE: Burning Bridges - by Africa - 01-12-2015, 11:25 PM