the Rift

[OPEN] storms can be beautiful

Kaj The Aurelight Posts: 381
Hidden Falls Conscript atk: 4.0 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2hh :: 8 Years 9 Months HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Arabella :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya Brit

Count your blessings not your flaws

Parelia's shift towards him drew his attention, a magnet to a viable charge, and he smiled subtly down at her. Kaj was grateful for her presence, for the mediation it brought between his warring sorrow and joy at seeing the two young mares before him. He had seen them as mere children, to gaze upon them as lead and charge made him feel as if he had somehow failed them. Budding tears were thrust back, into the recesses of his emotions. Surely they would emerge later, in the privacy of the forest where nobody could see his weakness. He had failed too often, to heavily, for him to forgive himself with ease. Instead, he extended one wing to cover the small distance between himself and Parelia, hoping to ruck their feathers together and take comfort and strength from her innocence. Her naive faith in him, in a soul she couldn't see was soiled.

Two words vanish like smoke from Tandavi's lips, and he can see the weight of leadership echoed from his shoulders to her own. Though it is a proud title to hold, he also feels nothing but regret, to see her weighed down by troubles he had never wished upon her. Yet there was nothing he could have done to spare her. She lived outside his realm, in a place where he could not reach her, protect her. The hole in his chest ached all the fiercer for that knowledge.

A patient smile heals the raw edges, to see her struggle and wince adorably with the formality of her words. It would grow easier with time, Kaj knew, but it was nice to see that she was still partially the little filly he remembered. That she hadn't changed too much in his absence, prolonged as it was. His smile was encouraging, patient in a way that no other leader perhaps would have been, and for that he was glad that she had time to practice on him, whom she knew. It is only tainted by the sorrowful understanding as she says that the Edge will always be home to her. For it would always open its arms to her, to Amaris, and yet he also knew with a new ache to his heart that it would never happen. For they would never stray, would never seek his side nor his wisdom anymore. They were growing, blooming, and their roots would end up reaching too deep into desert soil to ever be uprooted for childhood memories and nostalgias.

For, as Tandavi had said, they had outgrown it.

Kaj hated the weakness he showed in that moment, but he ducked his head to bear the words the best he could, shuddering beneath its weight. It took mere moments, to compose himself, but it was moments too long in his eyes. So when talk of alliance touched his ears, he refrained from shaking his head immediately, not wanting to break their hearts by telling them how much the Edge had changed. How they couldn't possibly accept an alliance, couldn't afford to show favoritism. Instead he did so slowly, minutely, barely a pass of his cranium from side to side to show his momentary answer as words mixed and decided themselves upon his tongue.

"I cannot give you an answer immediately, my child. This is talk meant to be shared with my people, with my Queen. But I will hold it close at mind and heart, and tell you our answer as soon as I am able," he promised softly, and he hoped they still took those, at least, with some amount of value. They are interrupted easily by Parelia, holding out the little glass bauble for it to be taken by the vixen at Tandavi's hooves. Amaris is first to express gratitude, appreciation for his Glazier's efforts and talent. Nodding his head in both quiet awe and appreciation for the pegasus at his side, he turned his gaze easily upon the dragon child, seeing some sort of conflict in the expanse of her face.

A smile spread on his lips, reaching forth to embrace Amaris, their muzzles meeting brief and soft as they exchanged scents. She stepped ever closer, and Kaj echoed each step, using his superior height to drape his neck over the youth and squeeze her tight in turn. It eased the pain of his heart, to have her close and warm against him. Letting her go was far harder than he had anticipated, but it had to be done, and he tried to put on an understanding smile for the both of them.

"May your journeys be safe, your hearts light. We are always here, should you need us," he spoke softly, meant only for them. It would be infinitely harder to see them go, but he had to respect that they were grown mares now. He could not hold them any longer.

Image Credits

credit bronzehalo
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Messages In This Thread
storms can be beautiful - by Tandavi - 01-10-2015, 03:45 AM
RE: storms can be beautiful - by Amaris - 01-10-2015, 10:30 PM
RE: storms can be beautiful - by Kaj - 01-11-2015, 10:46 PM
RE: storms can be beautiful - by Parelia - 01-14-2015, 06:43 PM
RE: storms can be beautiful - by Tandavi - 01-18-2015, 03:44 AM
RE: storms can be beautiful - by Amaris - 01-19-2015, 12:35 AM
RE: storms can be beautiful - by Kaj - 01-20-2015, 04:43 AM
RE: storms can be beautiful - by Parelia - 01-21-2015, 01:09 AM
RE: storms can be beautiful - by Tandavi - 01-21-2015, 02:10 AM
RE: storms can be beautiful - by Amaris - 01-22-2015, 08:13 PM