the Rift

Sun Rising [Birth, Open]

Rishima Posts: 137
World's Edge Moon Advocate
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2 :: 15 Buff: NOVICE
Kali :: Common Griffin :: Draining Clutch Charks
It was Kali who forced us to come, eagerly flying on ahead and refusing to return to me even when I called. Still unable to convey her desires with words, she had no trouble making what she wanted abundantly clear at all times, either with a combination of avian and feline calls or simply by tugging on my mane. Today she had grabbed my amulet from around my neck, trilling urgently and flying away towards thistle meadow. My cries of protest left no mark on her young mind; with a weak sigh I lifted dished hooves and trudged after her, wondering what had excited my companion so. She kept my life interesting, my little Kali, that much could certainly never be denied.

The break from thinning woods into the Thistle Meadow was one of long shadows and soft light. Behind me, the sun was rising from his resting place, stretching greedy rays out to wash the world with illumination. Kali's happy cries echoed through the field, her joy springing from a simple place of being rather than any understanding of the event, any knowledge as to why there gathered such an odd assortment of equines on this day. I could recognize some, clinging to a great oak and fixated upon what lie beneath.

My brothers stood there, and Mirage; painted Solstice and a pair of stallions I knew not. Dragons wheeled and spun overhead, a trio of blue, white, and gold; delighted, Kali cast herself off the ground to join them, her fledgling form barely as large as the tiny White. Pale and excited, she cried out to her older compatriots, a falcon's trill of greeting and glee. Forgotten, I enjoyed watching her black-accented body as she struggled to join the dragons in their games, hesitant to invade upon the sanctity of whatever might be happening beneath the oak.

My pause lasted no longer than a minute before curiosity won out. Gold-dusted legs strode purposefully through the tall grasses, dark eyes cast upon the strangers, seeking to see what it was that caught their attention and raised their voices. I wove in close behind Mirage, pressing a loving nip on her rump in greeting, sliding in beside her and catching my breath as I realized the source of all the commotion. Upon the ground lay Smoke, the grullo mare I knew so little of but had been so impressed by at our brief interlude in the Threshold, and again by how she carried herself at the debacle that was the Foothills herd meeting. I had heard more of her from my brothers, whispers from Mirage; and I knew her to be pregnant, but the sight of the winged child lying beside her still caused my breath to catch. I had never expected this mare to bend to the sun god's will, and yet here she was beside her daughter.

She was a beautiful babe, the creamy hybrid with incredible detailing on her wings and horn, a perfect child to be born into a new dawn, and under different circumstances I would have felt as joyous as my sister, as Kali and her friends. Yet there was a tension here too, a thick disgust radiating from the dunskin stallion that was nearly palpable in the air – or perhaps my new magic simply made me more attune to such things. A glance was thrown his way, curious and subtle, dark eyes trying to pick apart the emotions that lay beneath his skin. I dared not use my magic: the experience was far too overwhelming when focused, and I had no desire to invade the life of another just now- but I had learned much about body language in my long life. There was no love lost between the stallion and Smoke's child... but that was not a problem for me to puzzle over. The urgent nudging of Kali at my mind forced my thoughts back towards the others here, her excited chattering suddenly erupting into my ears. "Little brat," I muttered fondly to the gryphon, and she ignored the insult, landing on the ground between myself and the new mother, crooning curiously at the little babe. "She is lovely, Smoke," I intone, mentally commanding Kali no touch. Kali croons, lying down beside the newborn, wanting only to play, pleased to not be the youngest anymore.

Messages In This Thread
Sun Rising [Birth, Open] - by Smoke - 09-10-2012, 10:18 PM
RE: Sun Rising [Birth, Open] - by Mirage - 09-10-2012, 10:39 PM
RE: Sun Rising [Birth, Open] - by Lace - 09-11-2012, 06:39 PM
RE: Sun Rising [Birth, Open] - by Ricochet - 09-11-2012, 08:48 PM
RE: Sun Rising [Birth, Open] - by Solstice - 09-11-2012, 10:20 PM
RE: Sun Rising [Birth, Open] - by Rishima - 09-12-2012, 04:20 PM
RE: Sun Rising [Birth, Open] - by Kimber - 09-12-2012, 04:35 PM
RE: Sun Rising [Birth, Open] - by Israfel - 09-17-2012, 06:26 PM
RE: Sun Rising [Birth, Open] - by Smoke - 10-05-2012, 08:11 PM
RE: Sun Rising [Birth, Open] - by Mirage - 10-06-2012, 12:40 AM
RE: Sun Rising [Birth, Open] - by Lace - 10-13-2012, 12:07 PM