the Rift

[OPEN] Mercy Killing or, uh, Thrilling [Welcoming]

Thor the Gentle Heart Posts: 379
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 11 (TallSun) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sabine :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Linds
THOR
If I’d managed to sway the desert flower with words alone, I was blissfully unaware. Instead, I was now intoxicated by the spoils of victory, however small they appeared outwardly. Though the Edge had called for a truce of sorts with the Basin, my own personal vendetta had yet to be satisfied and thus I was left feeling elated about my gains. Najya was a creature best suited for the Throat in many ways, right down to her birthright, but greed had become a close friend of mine and it too stemmed from selfish habits that I could not yet oust. There was something sickly sweet about placing the Edge upon a mantle for Ophelia and all of the Basin to see. One could argue that I’d succumbed to pride, but I felt it was more a symbol of our inherent power; while it was a dormant entity, it existed nonetheless.

It was easy for me to prove a gentleman in the face of opposition, but when the sun’s rays fell from my shoulders and I was one again a mortal amongst Gods, I felt bereft. The climax had been robbed of me, a particular rush of adrenaline that now fell short of my expectations. In order to calm my nerves after what felt like a silent power struggle, I listened to the creaking of the wood and the chirping of the birds overhead. They had returned at the beginning of Spring and had since taken up residence in the shaded corners of Helovia. Off in the distance, the faint sounds of the thicket made me believe that a forest dweller or two had surfaced from their hiding places in search of food or water. No matter where I turned my eyes or ears, the Threshold appeared to come alive. “Is peace the only reason you’ve decided to join the Edge?” I questioned reluctantly of my companion.

I had finally allowed myself to look at Najya, unabashed, while slowing marginally to allow her a place at my side. I studied the flash of gold hidden beneath her pale forelock and wondered if it ever bothered her to carry the medallions between her eyes. They shifted and clinked from time to time, drawing my eyes away from the mare’s hazel gaze. However, it served to remind me of my own talisman –a mahogany ruby given to me by the great Turtle- and how important it had become to me of late. I sought to have the jewel enchanted with magic, so perhaps I had good reason to treasure the useless bauble. So, maybe that meant that Najya’s golden ornaments held similar value… or maybe not; life was ultimately based on perception after all.

As the Threshold gave way to the Thistle Meadow and then the Edge just beyond, I was suddenly aware of how anxious I’d become. It was not Najya or Ophelia that had spurred this tension, but rather a far more delicate matter that went by the name of Sabine. I had left her in the Edge, with a nest made of pine needles and tall grasses, so that her tender presence would not distract me from task. However, as Najya and I grew closer to the borders of home, I began to sense Sabine and her newfound connection to me. It was not a pleasant feeling that awaited my return either, but a distressed call for attention and reassurance. Soon love, I tried, despite our immature bond. One day she would be able to hear my thoughts and then she would understand my undying love for her and her wellbeing. Until then, she would merely have to trust in my instincts and my desire to nurture the young Zephyr.

Though the heat of TallSun had managed to eradicate any moisture in the air in surrounding regions, the Edge was still cloaked in a fine mist that swirled and danced along her borders. I found great comfort in knowing that the sea and her oceanic jet streams kept the World’s Edge cool in the summer and warm in the winter. As I’d come to learn, land was more apt to heat quickly and cool quickly, while bodies of water were slow to heat and slow to cool. Perhaps that in itself was why I’d never thought to explore Helovia beyond the occasional stroll. I was content here, happy even. “Welcome home Najya,” I smiled casually. This wasn’t the first nor the last time I’d introduced a new face to the lovely graces of the World’s Edge, but she never failed to shock and amaze me… which meant her splendor was insurmountable for newcomers. Right?
Specter
world's edge
Image Credit

@[Najya]

Lines by Tamme! Paddeh Coloring

Messages In This Thread
Mercy Killing or, uh, Thrilling [Welcoming] - by Thor - 03-23-2015, 03:42 PM