the Rift

[OPEN] When Death Greets Life [Egg Hatching]

Rei Posts: 140
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14hh :: 5 years HP: 62.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Anka :: Oriental Short Clawed Otter :: None TierRen
Rei
“In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.”
― Michael Jackson

Today there is hardly a cloud in the sky and the faintest of Tallsun breezes dances about with a whisper of Orangemoon on its breath. The grasses of the Thistle Meadow sway with the wind and the wild flowers rise to meet their sun. Birds sing their sweet songs and even the crickets and frogs of the river join in as their chorus. Today is the type of day that you dream of with half lidded eyes on bitter cold Frostfall days.

My hoof-print making stops abruptly though. In front of me a large snake is attempting to make its way off with an egg. I get ready to turn around, to turn a blind eye, snakes have to live after all. But there is a tug at my heart that knocks the breath from my lungs. There is a little one in the egg that somehow connected itself to me. It is almost as if I can feel the babe's heartbeat. The snake will find something else. With a small measure of guilt for the snake I charge it with my teeth bared and fore-hooves lashing. No blows are aimed to hit the snake. They are only meant to run it away.

It works! Relief fills me as I watch the serpent leave from the egg. A soft chirp comes from my throat as I look down at its speckled surface.

Brief celebration quickens the beating of my heart then fear takes it's turn. I watch the snake coil, I almost imagine that I see a smirk upon the creatures grim face. And then he strikes. I can feel pain as the fangs sink into flesh but that is not the worst of it. I can also feel venom flowing into the bite.

It is said that whenever death greets life that time slows in order for the pair to exchange remarks. For me it goes all too fast. I see all that my life was. I see all that it could have been. Before my eyes I see it all flashing by. Every memory, every hope and dream, comes and goes. Thankfully as death allows life to show me all of this, life has the good graces to leave out the current moment.

My leg where I was bitten swells already. My breath comes in shallow mouthfuls leaving my lungs longing for more. With the swelling comes a horrendous burning and itching. Using my other fore-hoof I desperately try scratching my leg. Instead of scratching it ends up being more of a flailing movement.

Laboriously I manage to stand and I stumble to where the egg lays. Falling to the ground beside it I drape my wing over the fragile shell that encases the life within. I now understand how Kvothe felt whenever he cared for Elodin prior to his hatching. It may be the last thing that I see to but I will be sure that the egg falls into the right hands.

The itching sensation is traveling up my leg and with its travels comes a numbness. Panic surges through me as I realize that I am unable to move anymore.

In the home of the wildflowers I lay with an egg tucked beneath my trembling wing and I pray to the gods for a healer.

Not how I planned it but Rei needs some purpose and this will open her interest to talking to a healer about learning.

Credits: Thank you Shady and Tamme!
Magic usage is okay.
Just ask before doing any actions that may cause a great deal of damage first.
I am also okay with being tagged.

Messages In This Thread
When Death Greets Life [Egg Hatching] - by Rei - 03-29-2015, 03:10 PM