the Rift

[OPEN] Babe in the Woods

Ruairi Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

RUAIRI
The Directionally Challenged

I splay my wings wide and flat so that the tips of the farthest primary feathers are stretched as far from center as they can be, maximizing the surface area of my body, though my spindly forelegs are tucked neatly against my breast to reduce drag and the hinds trail out behind to act as rudders. The heat and humidity of Tallsun collides with the chill winds of the coming Frostfall beneath my wings and drives me upward without a single assistant wing-beat. This is why Orangemoon is my favorite season.

I spiral upward on the invisible vortex of clashing fronts until the air begins to thin with altitude and the currents lose their fierceness for battle. From this height I can look down across a huge expanse of forest that stretches far to the east, bordered on the north by snow-white peaks and on the south by cobalt-blue ocean sparkling with tide. It’s a beautiful landscape, but completely unfamiliar to me.

My heart begins to sink and my wings droop with it, starting me on a downward glide. I’ve never been this lost before. I thought heading in one direction would eventually bring me over something I’d seen before, anything even remotely familiar, but now the possibility that I’ve been going the wrong direction all day grips my mind and even the cool breeze breaking across my chest and slipping past my flanks won’t dry the nervous sweat from my skin.

I can’t decide what direction to try next so I dip my left wing and lean left to start banking in a wide oval, but my growing anxiety makes my movements jerky and my normally easy, graceful flight transforms into the disconnected floundering of a weanling. My body lists hard to the left and my right wing flares to slow and rebalance the awkward fishhook turn I’ve fumbled into. I catch myself and level out, but embarrassment burns hot beneath my skin. Did anyone see?

OOC: Open to anyone. :)

Messages In This Thread
[OPEN] Babe in the Woods - by Ruairi - 04-08-2015, 03:06 AM
RE: [OPEN] Babe in the Woods - by Tempe - 04-11-2015, 01:28 AM
RE: [OPEN] Babe in the Woods - by Ruairi - 04-12-2015, 07:53 PM
RE: [OPEN] Babe in the Woods - by Ruairi - 05-05-2015, 01:23 AM