the Rift

[OPEN] felix culpa

Ryuu Posts: 28
Outcast
Colt :: Unicorn :: 15.1hh :: 1 Year
Mali :: Rough Collie :: None Brit
ryuu
You are a brick tied to me that's dragging me down / Strike a match and I'll burn you to the ground / We are the jack-o-lanterns in July / Setting fire to the sky

I don't know why I lingered in the North after Mali was born, after meeting Sikeax. It was a long journey, and I selfishly enjoyed the way my hooves were numbed by the cold when I walked in the snow for long hours. Though it splintered in shards of agony up my forelimbs nonetheless as time went on, I took the reprieve, the restfulness, as it came. Mali stayed by my side faithfully, not much more than a fluff ball with big, beady eyes. But her love was a constant current in my mind, keeping me far warmer, steadier, fuller than I ever had been in my young life. A part of me longed to return home, even as I drifted steadily north. It was so vast, so silent. All I'd known in my life was silence, but this was a tranquil brand and breed of solitude. There were no awkwardly averted eyes, affected by the malaise my presence purportedly brought. It was not silent due to discomfort. I liked it.

An echoing bark drew my attention away, and I flicked my eyes to where I'd last seen Mali, suddenly concerned. It was a far louder bark than her pathetic attempts, but the reasoning behind that was quickly unveiled as I traipsed after her on numb, aching legs. A cavernous system, swallowing up every errant noise and amplifying it beyond recognition. Each clatter and click of my hooves on the new, rocky earth seemed to resonate harshly within the depths of my ears. No wonder Mali had sounded like a fully grown mutt.

It's a mystical place, enchanting. It draws my attention, our combined curiosity. There are so many smaller caverns, varying sizes and shapes, with odd crystal and stone shapes that I have no hope of discerning or categorizing. But I enjoy their appearance nonetheless. At least I had something I could run home to Momma and ask about. Perhaps she would know the answer?

I poke my muzzle into another little cavern, but my numb hooves are useless in yet another fashion. I couldn't feel the ice below, the slick, slippery patches of the stone below. My hoof caught it and I crashed sideways, my barred shoulder slamming into the weird spikes next to me. I kicked forward with a pained cry, trying to catch up my forelimbs beneath my chest once more. I skid and crashed in an awful heap that I hadn't experienced since my embarrassing coltish moons, though Momma would argue I'm still quite well within them. I think she doesn't want me to grow up sometimes.

But that is neither here nor there, and Mali's accompanying bark of surprise at the sudden flare of pain in our bond puts a nail in the coffin I'd just fallen into. All the sounds came together, an orchestra, a symphony of disaster. The walls themselves seemed to shake, and suddenly loose ice was crashing down around me, sealing me in the cavern effectively, a few heavy pieces nailing me as they came shuddering down. I let out a cry, trying to bite it back as I skidded to the back of the cave, peering fearfully at the sudden blocked entrance. It was weird, opaque ice. I could see only the faintest of blurred outlines. And I began to panic.

I couldn't have disobeyed Momma just to die here, trapped and alone. Not when I had just gotten Mali. Not when I still had so much I wanted to do, to say. Or did I? I was only a child still, it felt like the only thing I was really afraid of in that moment was not being able to see Momma again. Dying was not a foreign thing for me, but it still seemed ever farther from my mind than that prospect. "Help!" I cried, trying not to be too loud lest I bring the cavern down upon me a second time. Outside, I could hear Mali whining and crying loudly, puppy vocals meant to draw attention and bring a mother running only amplified by the cavern she'd been left in. Distantly I realized I was hyperventilating, but none of it seemed to matter as I crumpled to the earth in a heap, attempting to keep my wits about me with the sudden claustrophobia I felt.

@[Erebos] quest!

image credits

Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Messages In This Thread
felix culpa - by Ryuu - 04-14-2015, 07:25 PM
RE: felix culpa - by Erebos - 04-19-2015, 10:11 AM
RE: felix culpa - by Ryuu - 05-09-2015, 08:23 PM
RE: felix culpa - by Erebos - 05-23-2015, 09:11 AM