the Rift

[OPEN] The Reality of Displacement

Roskuld the Sparklight Posts: 424
World's Edge General atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Tribrid :: 15.3 :: 6 HP: 82 | Buff: ENDURE
Zchiraxicon :: Royal Rougarou :: Electric Smithers

My heart broke when the little thing in the grasses jumped at my arrival; it was all I could do from doing the same, because shit that spooked the fuck out of me, but something nagging and urgent was telling me this absolutely wasn’t the time to be spooked in front of these kids. From the looks of it, it seemed like these kids had seen some shit.

The light one started talking, and my heart shattered even more, so much so that the pieces of it started swirling around in my breast, a shard getting lodged between my bones:

*"They attacked us. I think they're trying to take away our home. I don't know who or what they are, but they just came in and starting beating up my family!"*

The girl was losing it, and from the sound of things, she had every right to it. For a second I stood, dumbstruck by the vapor clouds pouring out of her tiny body—unsure and hesitant, because I’d never been in this situation before. I’d never been in the face of scared, crying children, and I—well, what do you do? How do you comfort them? Hey…” I said, and I won’t lie and say it wasn’t kinda awkward leaving my lips, because fighting was my forte but comfort was definitely not that. It was gentle, though, and kinda-sorta-maybe soothing, or as soothing as I could manage while still being confused as hell.

Lil’ Shawty brought me up to speed, though.

*"Yeah. Some big motherfucker followed by lots of other motherfuckers just attacked. And they didn't try to take away our home—they mother fucking succeeded. They just stormed up and whooped some ass. They didn't have to try - they brought bitches from the Basin to help out. It was a fucking slaughter.”*

Holy shit I wish Lil’ Shawty hadn’t brought me up to speed.

Because the kids, the thistles, the—well, everything in my world just stopped, frozen and dead, and it felt like I was falling but I knew I wasn’t, I knew my legs were planted firmly on the ground there—I knew because of the blood that pounded so furiously through them.

And they didn't try to take away our home—they mother fucking succeeded.

They didn't have to try - they brought bitches from the Basin to help out.

It was a fucking slaughter.

I was seeing red; I couldn’t breathe straight. I didn’t feel how stony my face was getting or the iron that came upon my jaw; you looked at me, surprised at the feeling in me, because it was so sudden and raw and dangerous, and I ain’t even sure what kind of mask those kids were seeing because a demon hatching behind my eyes and I couldn’t hold the cracks together quick enough.

They brought bitches from the Basin to help out.

( I thought for years that those who resided in this land were evil, fools, but Torleik invited me to see differently--)

It was a fucking slaughter.

I was exploding. Things were detonating in my head, blowing and ringing and clamoring and raging so hard that you actually squirmed on my face, your little heart beating just as quickly as my own, and you were so dreadfully confused at this rush of emotion and the image of my head—because, of course, I’d never told you about Ma before, have I?

But I couldn’t explode in front of these kids. No--they’d been through enough trouble. So I snorted and I tried to breathe the fire away and when I failed, I bit my lip, my face nothing but a mask of shadows, war, and lightning. “Basiners,” I growled, chewing my lip, looking left, right, and center, “Who else was there? Where yo’ parents at now? I felt my muscles tense and lock up; I paced once in place, my nerves raging, a finger on the trigger. Then I stopped myself, realizing something. “Wait, where y’all from?” I looked at these two little girls, these girls that smelled like wet grass and mulch—like autumn, and definitely not like something salty, like the ocean. “You—y’all ain’t from the Foothills are you?” I didn’t know it was called something else now; I only knew it was broken and different and shitty and, if my hunch was correct, a common ground between the three of us.

It was hard to focus. The blood rang in my ears and if it weren’t for this frail little girl and this loud other one tethering me here, I would have already bolted somewhere, to throw myself in a fight or start one all over again. And it’s probably a good thing I didn’t go—because what would I do? How could I stop an army? I sighed, and the sigh turned into a growl, and it probably would have turned into a scream if you hadn’t crawled all over my eye, blinding me for a second—distracting me from the pressure.

“...Hey,” I said suddenly, looking back down at the girls. At the way Lil’ Shawty sort of sneered at the other little girl for getting my name wrong (I’ve been called worse, and there was other things biting at me at that moment for me to really care what I was being called) and the rough way she handled her…sister, maybe? I dunno, but they at least came from the same herd. The bite in my lip got thoughtful as I considered the lil’ chick with no chill. “Be nice,” I said, and it was rough, but also with that soothing thing that I was trying to train and hone, “It sound like y’all been through a lot, and family's family.”

I rolled my shoulders; the blood wasn’t letting me ignore it for long. With a snort and a stomp and a swish of my too-short tail, I squared up and you knew I was gettin’ serious. “Now then,” I said, my voice a little stronger, a lot more scratchy, “Either tell me where I can find y’all’s parents, or point me to the first ass I’m kicking.”

@[Auriel]
@[Shida]

Please tag ROSKULD in every reply!

Messages In This Thread
The Reality of Displacement - by Auriel - 04-18-2015, 01:57 PM
RE: The Reality of Displacement - by Shida - 04-19-2015, 11:16 AM
RE: The Reality of Displacement - by Roskuld - 04-19-2015, 02:08 PM
RE: The Reality of Displacement - by Auriel - 04-20-2015, 04:33 PM
RE: The Reality of Displacement - by Shida - 04-20-2015, 04:45 PM
RE: The Reality of Displacement - by Roskuld - 04-21-2015, 11:07 AM
RE: The Reality of Displacement - by Auriel - 04-22-2015, 08:33 AM
RE: The Reality of Displacement - by Shida - 04-24-2015, 01:03 PM