the Rift

[OPEN] The Reality of Displacement

Roskuld the Sparklight Posts: 424
World's Edge General atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Tribrid :: 15.3 :: 6 HP: 82 | Buff: ENDURE
Zchiraxicon :: Royal Rougarou :: Electric Smithers

The “Hidden Falls” she called it, a name I immediately forgot again. But the impression stuck to a hazy memory of someone’s dad greeting me there, telling me about the changes to my home. So maybe there wasn’t a point of common ground between me and these two little girls—because my home didn’t exist anymore. Little by little my past was shriveling up and I wasn’t catching up to it fast enough to see the ends fray away and say goodbye to them.

You climbed down my nose, your eyes wide and blinking away the last of the sleepies as you inspected the tiny girls. That was pretty much the impression you got: tiny, tiny, tiny, your brain lingering over the fact that they were so small in comparison to me. I didn’t realize this was your first time meeting babies, at least in a situation where there wasn’t a grossly huge dragon needing our assistance. That kind of shit puts too much pressure on you for observation.

*"You can't go! Even if you just find our parents they might kill you."*

I snorted, hard, because boiling blood ain’t got no sense. “I’mma live forever,” I assured her with an iron voice, “Don’t you worry about me none. Worry about yourselves first, ‘n make sure y’all ain’t got no injuries or someshit.”

*"Wait, you said you knew the people who came in right, the bathers or something? Maybe you could ask them to leave?"*

My throat constricted; I opened my mouth but of course nothing fell out, intelligent or otherwise, because my voice was locked up with things and subtleties that these kids didn’t need to worry themselves about. Someone something pale swam in my vision for a second, and the rise in blood pressure was too much for me to process all at once—so it wasn’t until Lil’ Shawty started piping up that I was able to get a grasp on the present again.

*” Ma was fighting ... but I saw Da leading some unicorns from the Basin around the back. He led them in one of our secret entrances .."*

I didn’t know who their Pa was. I didn’t know I already had nightmares of the fat bastard’s shadow, his funk forever haunting me in my lowest hours. As it was, my ears glued themselves to the thickness of my neck, and one could just make out the way my hide stood on end, electrified. That’s one ass I was kicking, whether they want me to or not.

But then they were talking about coming with me--fighting with me, trying to win their homes back, and I had to shove down the bloodthirst that was starting to parch my throat. I swallowed it down and—surprisingly—I succeeded, and my body cooled down a little because of it. It helped that they looked up at me with their big baby’s eyes, making something catch in my throat, especially when I saw the mist in Lil’ Shawty’s gaze. Ah jeez I hated crying. It made things break in me, my heart or whatever else that was fragile enough for smashing.

“….hey, y’all,” I said in a low voice; I moved closer to them, and I reached out to both, to touch them on the point of their withers—being them closer, if they’d allow it. “Listen. I know you mad ‘n all that someone barged in and kicked y’all out—hell, I’d be mad too.” I paused, swallowing. “…But I can’t let you fight,” I said, my voice dropping even lower, “I can’t do that to y’all. Y’all got a bunch more shit to handle in your lives, a lot more shit to look forward to, and I can’t let y’all get hurt over some dumb shit other people decided to do. It ain’t fair, but….” I shrugged, a little helplessly, because the reality of it was that I was powerless to stop this. Maybe if I had known there was bloodshed going on across the way, I could’ve barged in to fight, but I…

“…First thing’s first, we gotta find your Ma,” I said, stronger this time, trying to pump some energy into the young ones. “Sounds like she’s in the most trouble. But I promise you—“ I looked at both children in their eyes, blue and gold, “—just point, and I’ll whoop when the time comes. Cool?”

@[Auriel]
@[Shida]

Please tag ROSKULD in every reply!

Messages In This Thread
The Reality of Displacement - by Auriel - 04-18-2015, 01:57 PM
RE: The Reality of Displacement - by Shida - 04-19-2015, 11:16 AM
RE: The Reality of Displacement - by Roskuld - 04-19-2015, 02:08 PM
RE: The Reality of Displacement - by Auriel - 04-20-2015, 04:33 PM
RE: The Reality of Displacement - by Shida - 04-20-2015, 04:45 PM
RE: The Reality of Displacement - by Roskuld - 04-21-2015, 11:07 AM
RE: The Reality of Displacement - by Auriel - 04-22-2015, 08:33 AM
RE: The Reality of Displacement - by Shida - 04-24-2015, 01:03 PM