the Rift

[OPEN] Duty [New Edge Leads Competition]

Torleik the Bloodskald Posts: 354
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 11 HP: 66.5 | Buff: SWIFT
Irelyn :: Plain Griffin :: Molten Dagger RedGod
Torleik the Bloodskald

Every hope collapsing in is a vibrant white

They had won with pathetic ease. The fools in the Falls had barely even put up a fight - if their feeble attempts at defending their personal safety could be considered a fight. Invasion completed days ago, Torleik had remained near Ophelia as much as he could...but the realization that the woman he wanted being a leader meant she would always be out doing and gone a good deal of the time was truly beginning to solidify in his mind.

It...was a heavy thought, one that did not follow the high of his mushroom ingestion well, bringing him down to a nadir he hadn't intended. The two of them had been blessed with a single moment in the middle of the invasion, one beautiful weave in the tapestry of time where Torleik felt...perhaps Ophelia would or could return his love. The moment had been brief. Now, days later, he followed his leader and Lady once more, concerned that perhaps she might still be in danger.

A herd had just been overthrown. Surely they were angry. Sometimes the greatest retaliations came after the battles had been fought.

To find himself at a gathering for the selecting the new leaders of the World's Edge...this was unexpected. That was the Moon Goddess' land. A knot formed in his heart and his gazed rested heavy on the pale mare in front of him, for whom his heart normally swelled and burned bright. Would she hate him? Would she be angry with him?

Did it even matter if he was no longer in the Basin? They barely saw each other as it was - she was always off with...Gaucho, or others. Elsewhere. His seeing her in the snowcapped mountains was rare. And there was the matter of his deal with the lilac deity of the moon for the armor he had charged into battle with, that had been magically granted to him and remained with him always, ready to be used upon a whim or a summons. Kahlua had spoken and Torleik's audits heard Ophelia's words wash over him...and suddenly his limbs were carrying him forward.

This was not how he'd wanted this to be, but duty, fear and...perhaps hope, drove him.

"I came to see Ophelia safe," the Bloodskald began. "but it seems to me fate has ensured my attendance for another reason." His eyes flicked to the white and crimson mare's, then to Kahlua. Torleik had not forgotten how she screamed at him, distrustful and accusatory. If she had become a leader, he decided she must have overcome that tendency. "You wish a leader to honor the Moon Goddess...I have worshiped some form of her my entire life. I...owe her a debt. My service in her land would, I hope, please her."

His gaze remained on the roots of the ground now. He could not bear Ophelia's judgement in front of the crowd. "You desire peace. I am a man of war. Battle is where I find myself, and my comfort - but I do not relish it, and I would not make war unless there was a necessity. I am no gilded tongue to pour honeyed words in the ear, but I try to be reasonable and fair to all." The Bloodskald swallowed. "I will shoulder whatever burden I am given, because I must. That is my nature. If you should trust me enough with this position, I would perform the duties to my utmost. That is how I am. At the very least, I would strive to retain the peace brokered between the former Edge and the Basin - and now, the Falls."

Cautiously, his blue orbs lifted, seeking Ophelia's face. Please do not think less of me for what I've done...I would cast it all into the sea if you had need of me, his soul sang in a mournful dirge, praying that the decision he was trying to make here was a wise one. Torleik knew he had to do as he felt he must to protect what was most important to him. Perhaps, in this way...he could keep the one he loved out of the Moon's crosshairs.

But navigating such tricky canals and inlets of interpersonal politics had never been Torleik's focus in life. He felt lost and adrift as a ship without any wind to guide it home.

Would Ophelia be his guiding current? Would she be the anchor between them, refusing to let him drift too far?

The Bloodskald felt nauseated. She was a fragile thing in their fledgling affection, and it frightened him more than anything she would see this as abandonment. Gods help me I want nothing more than to be by your side...

But sometimes to grow together, you had to be apart.

He only hoped whatever came of this did not destroy all he had worked for. If it came to that, he would burn the world down. The powers and objects of this life meant nothing to him at the foot of her heart's throne.

@[Kahlua]
@[Ophelia]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Torleik is having a mini existential crises, BUT he's doing what he thinks is best. He is offering himself as the warrior leader, since that's what he's good at.

Phi has permission to read his thoughts, and should - because I only included them considering I figure she'd be scouring the mind of anyone who offered themselves up, aannnddd they're gonna need to have a talk later. lol.

"talk talk talk"

Art by valerie911 @ DA
[Image: 531c0b471919e]

No man is an island.
Pixel by: Tamme :D

Please tag me in all posts! Thank you!

Messages In This Thread
Duty [New Edge Leads Competition] - by Kahlua - 04-19-2015, 12:38 AM
RE: Duty [New Edge Leads Competition] - by Torleik - 04-19-2015, 11:39 AM
RE: Duty [New Edge Leads Competition] - by Lena - 04-19-2015, 02:41 PM
RE: Duty [New Edge Leads Competition] - by Kiara - 04-20-2015, 02:34 AM
RE: Duty [New Edge Leads Competition] - by Amaris - 04-20-2015, 03:23 AM