[OPEN] Silent beauty, silent ending [Torleik]
Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme
JUST ONE BEAT OF YOUR HEART AND STRANGER THAN FANTASY
Is your love strong enough?

The light overhead was fading as she sank deeper into the ocean, the world around her turning to a faded, echoing din. Torleik’s mind unraveled through her mental space, and she heard his thoughts continue. Seconds after her cool words settled into his mind, he was rising up in his defense, just as she had thought. He would argue. He would beg. He would try to prove to her that he was different, and when he was tired of trying, he would move on to better, brighter souls. Some cracks were too deep to be filled and some breaks too complete to be made whole ever again. Ophelia had come to realize this about herself after time and time again those who entered her life simply… left. Who was he to say he would stay?

He couldn’t possibly know.

The accusation of going to visit Gaucho stung. If only he knew that the fire-king in the south was deeply in love with perfection, a radiant, angelic being of finer make than herself. If only he knew how wrong he was. Ophelia had been securing their future – using a bond she had forged in kindness after he had mistakenly tried to shove her body over a cliff. Traveling south was difficult, the heat oppressive, but she toiled so that those she cared for could live better lives, and he dared insinuate that she wanted to go? A blackness stained her heart, and she flicked a single ear backward – the only outward sign that she was not wholly committed to the others who were talking.

Debt? To the Moon Goddess? How had he gotten himself tangled in her shadowy webs? How had the lilac harlot ensnared Torleik? Her Torleik? That was what she had wanted to think, but in a way, it didn’t seem right. He did not belong to her any more than she belonged to him, and now that they were diverging, they were even less so. Ophelia would have to go to the Sun God and ask for council, especially to save him if the Goddess wanted to use him just as she had used Gaucho. The light that danced upon her brow, hanging from her spiraled, white horn, glowed brighter.

“You have to repay your debts. I understand,” she replied, mentally. “Maybe we will see each other more, but you need to do what you think is right.” The words were honest but removed, her emotions taken out of this game and hidden beneath a layer of snow. Ophelia could never ask him to choose her over this, over what he needed to do for himself. She was not worth the conflict. She never wanted to be a sacrifice.

The Moon Goddess did what she wanted without thought to others. She didn’t have the heart to tell him that trying to protect her would not matter. The shadow mare would take what she wanted when she wanted, and all bargains had loop holes and prices. If the Goddess wanted her dead, there would be nothing Torleik could do. Ophelia remained silent on this issue, knowing that he had to repay his debt to her as quickly as possible. If this was the best way for him to emerge from a devil’s bargain, then he needed to uphold his and run away clean.

And that was when he said it.

Three words, arguably four. Three mattered.

Instinct screamed for her to shut him down. No. He could not love her. Love was fleeting and futile. Love was an emotion for children and fools, a feeling that came and went.

Why did he say that?

Ophelia stared at him dumbly, trying to understand what would possess him to say those words – anything other than actually feeling what he said. How? She blinked, long white lashes fluttering to her cheeks as her world was turned upside down. Would his love be strong enough? An anchor in this ocean? Was it commitment and emotion? Or a bird to tangle braids in her mane and leave her with the knots? Could she trust what he was feeling?

Confusion.

“How?”

The question was weak and broken, undeniably self-abusing. She did not understand. How could he love her?

Image Credit: haiinee @ sxc.hu

FOR THOSE OF YOU READING....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVEsA6BSsWc

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Silent beauty, silent ending [Torleik] - by Ophelia - 04-19-2015, 02:37 PM