the Rift

[PRIVATE] Strings & ceiling wax & other fancy stuff

NPC Posts: 298
User-based Random Event
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
The whale chuckled warmly as Zero continued his pun. So many of his kind were adverse to rhetoric or amusement, that he rarely found those who understood his humour. The few who did were pitiful when it came to trying to respond. As it was, the whale was having a better day with these two than he had had in decades with his kin. "You certainly aren't the first that I've met young man - when you've lived as long as I have, you've nearly seen it all. " he rumbled kindled in their minds.

The whale dipped his nose under a wave for a moment to replenish the moisture on his head before pondering Zero's question. "Whales are born with a name - they are not given one. It is not unlike your custom ... some parents, if you ask them, will say they simply knew the name of their offspring. It is much like that. We have a name, and those around us with voices are able to discern it. You who are above ground, if you are lucky, experience the same. " He responded with a definitive nod. "As for me, I am called Pushta. It is a good name - it has served me well for several decades, and I daresay it will do for several more."

Although Pushta would have preferred to further his conversation with Zero, he turned to Isopia, with almost regret. There was so much weight upon her. It was as though her mind threatened to push her into the water and drown her so as not to have to bear it any longer. The whale felt pity for the poor demi child. "It seems to me that you have already found it, youngling." He advised, taking on an academic tone that seemed to mirror her own. Something told him that fun and games would not fly with her. "Whales have a way of knowing these things, and yet it seems you have come out here for nothing. In the dialect of the ancients, ισορροπία, or isorropia, and σοφία, or sophia, mean balance and wisdom. Together - Ih-soh-pee-ah, or Isopia, means you. It is clear as day. At least, it is to me. I feel it around you - do you not also?"

"Now young man!" Pushta fake-scoffed, turning back to Zero. "What is this nonesense about missing magic?" His voice rose to a crescendo in their minds, as comical shock lined his words. "Magic practically rolls off of you, as did Isopia's name roll off of her. Don't tell me that you don't see it? Or are you hiding it?!" With fake outrage, Pushta flopped dramatically back into the water, sending ripples and splashes towards the two on the bridge.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Strings & ceiling wax & other fancy stuff - by NPC - 05-31-2015, 10:37 PM